No hub cast iron Imperfect vent connection

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by branimal, Apr 14, 2017.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. May 24, 2017 #81

branimal

branimal

branimal

My tub directions call for a tail piece and waste pipe stub to connect to my tub no hub cast iron. What should I be looking for at the plumbing store?

[​IMG]

2. May 24, 2017 #82

Mr_David

Mr_David

Mr_David

Easily Amused Professional

How are you going to access the cleanout if you need it?
    If you use a cleanout tee instead of a tapped santee and turn it toward the wall. then you cover it with a chrome cleanout cover like the one Frodo mention earlier. I would use a plastic plug though. Those brass ones can be a real ***** to get out when you need to use it.

untitled.png

3. May 24, 2017 #83

Mr_David

Mr_David

Mr_David

Thought maybe you had that all figured out. Tried to tell you to use a 1-1/2" DWV brass p-trap and trap arm.

Maybe you can just use a 2" CI x 1-1/2" steel Mission band.
    use a brass nipple so just the threads stick up through the finished floor.
    The tubular brass has to fit inside the nipple. Then you just use a slip joint nut and washer to attach the tail pc from the drain. The picture of the tub drain above, I used ABS plastic. That bottom escutcheon on the floor lifts up and a slip joint is just under it. You rough it in to high and the escutcheon won't cover it or to low and you can't get the nut on ithttp://www.missionrubber.com/Products/Finder.php?FromSize=Any&FromType=Any&ToSize=2.00&ToType=K

4. May 24, 2017 #84

branimal

branimal

branimal

So behind that wall is a closet. I was going to drill holes in the closet wall and cover them with the chrome plates and use that as my access point.

Yes a cleanout tee would be easier to access since I can face it the correct way. I'll see if the plumbing store has em. Thanks.

5. May 24, 2017 #85

branimal

branimal

branimal

Got a proper cleanout and installed them. The plumbing ship didn't have plastic plugs. Rubbed some petroleum jelly on the brass plus and I'll hope for the best.

6. May 24, 2017 #86

branimal

branimal

branimal

David, tried attaching tubular brass and a slip joint nut to the drain body supplied by the tub supplier. Didn't seem stable.

Here's the drain body:

[​IMG]

Called the tub manufacturer --> they recommended Island tub drain ITD-35. (ABS)

It allows you to connect a free standing tub to a drain without access from below.

Upon further inspection I found Island tub drains offers a cast iron model ITD-357. Cool video - makes things seem simple.

https://osb.ca/products/tub-shower-WC/tub/freestanding-tub-drains/ID357.php#tab-youtube

[​IMG]

7. May 28, 2017 #87

Mr_David

Mr_David

Mr_David

So your tub has a built in overflow like a sink. That would explain the hole in the side of the drain fitting.

I have never seen that type of drain connection. I'm old school and I am often leery of some innovative ideas that are not tried an true.

Good luck with that and I hope it last a long time.

You may want to use a threaded tail piece. use a heavy 17 gauge tubular brass

222dc7a22437ef2172eb1a51ff255e17.jpg