No hot water to Master Bath Garden Tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabryant

Reaction score
HI all, I have hot water is running to every other outlet inside the house, I mean every outlet...washer, dishwasher, showers and all faucets. The master bath tub gets none. We built the house new in 2015/2016 and there was hot water running to the master bathtub at one time, however, it stopped 6 - 8 months ago (not exactly sure). I have tried replacing the valve cartridge in the hot water handle to get hot water, but it didn't work. The 2 hot water heaters are on and working. It does not seem there is hot water from the hot water line from the wall into the valve.

Any ideas as to what could be happening and what the fix could be?

Attachments

• IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9998.jpeg
    IMG_9998.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9999.jpeg
    IMG_9999.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm wondering if you have built in check valves in your stems to prevent choy and cold crossover, can you shut off the cold supply to the filler and see what happens,if the hot side gets hot

Last edited:
There possibly could be an off board pressure balance unit but they’re usually right close to the faucet.

You could cut the hot supply off and remove the cartridge and then turn the hot supply on for a second and see if you have flow. It would be good to have some help so you don’t make a mess.

With a Roman tub faucet, they will often have a tempering valve to prevent hot water scalding. We normally locate those under a bathroom sink. Hot and cold to the tempering valve and then mixed down in temperature output to the tub. I would look for that.
This has been plumbing code for years. Have you at least looked for this device in your home. It would explain exactly what you are describing.

tempering-valve-tub-filler.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it’s easy to disconnect the braided lines from the faucets, just pull out that locking clip and slide it off of the faucet, then open the faucet, and see if you get any water. If not, then remove the cartridge on the hot side and turn the water on and see if that works.

Do you have a manifold system for your water system

So it took the braided link off at the connection and ran for a little bit. Water is still lukewarm, but I want to run at full blast. However should there be a stream of water running out vs the spray in the video? When turning the faucet more the spray get worse.

Could this be caused by calcium build up in the hot water valve?

Attachments

• IMG_0010.mov
    8.6 MB
  • IMG_0011.mov
    10.7 MB
Last edited:
I'm with Terrill on this, there's got to be something else in the line that's tempering the hot water (improperly). Follow that red line back and find the culprit.

With a Roman tub faucet, they will often have a tempering valve to prevent hot water scalding. We normally locate those under a bathroom sink. Hot and cold to the tempering valve and then mixed down in temperature output to the tub. I would look for that.
This has been plumbing code for years. Have you at least looked for this device in your home. It would explain exactly what you are describing.

View attachment 37864
The only device that I have located such as this is at the hot water heaters, but my assumption is that it controls the water temperature to the entire home? Wouldnt that be the case? So if there is hot water everywhere in the home but the tub my guess is this is not solely controlling the tub.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    687.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm with Terrill on this, there's got to be something else in the line that's tempering the hot water (improperly). Follow that red line back and find the culprit.
That red line runs directoy into the wall. There is no device between the wall and it running into the valve.

I really appreciate all of you that have been responding with your comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Why do you have two hot water heaters again and how are they connected?

Back