Newer house with a 7" toilet rough in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulinWI

Reaction score
I have a house that was built in 2007 and am almost done finishing the basement. I was planning on the toilet install to be an easy job, but I just realized the rough in is only 7". Yes, I measured correctly. After reading a bit, I can't seem to figure out an easy solution to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yes, it was definitely for a toilet. Moving the wall is not an option anymore. Is there anyway I could use an offset flange and make my 9" rough in work for a 10" rough in toilet? Or does anybody know of a place I can get a 7" rough in toilet. I think I'm willing to install an antique toilet at this point if that is what it takes.
How difficult is it to bust up concrete and move pipe over by 5"?
Again thanks for all help or advise.

Here is a picture of the pipe next to the wall.

attachment.php

You have tiled the floor and put up sheet-rock?

...ouch... :(

yes, the drywall is up and do not regret putting that up because all of the plumbing for the bathroom was done in that wall and even had I known the situation, I would not have knocked down and moved wall.
The floor is just sheet vinyl, and I did not glue it down, so I can easily pull that up.
If busting up the concrete is my only option, I guess I'll have to do it, but may need some advice or suggestions in the best way to go about this.
Thanks

yes, it was definitely for a toilet. Moving the wall is not an option anymore. Is there anyway I could use an offset flange and make my 9" rough in work for a 10" rough in toilet? Or does anybody know of a place I can get a 7" rough in toilet. I think I'm willing to install an antique toilet at this point if that is what it takes.
How difficult is it to bust up concrete and move pipe over by 5"?
Again thanks for all help or advise.

do NOT use an offset, to do this correctly.

bust the floor. move the 90 out 5''

You have to bust up the concrete and move the toilet drain. Always check your rough-in dimensions prior to completing any finishing work around previously roughed-in plumbing.

Thank you Frodo. Although not exactly thrilled about busting up concrete, I'm now confident that this is the best solution and with the diagram, it seems pretty straight forward. I'll post some pictures of the progress in case anybody else has a builder that is careless about wall placement.

I have a house that was built in 2007 and am almost done finishing the basement. I was planning on the toilet install to be an easy job, but I just realized the rough in is only 7". Yes, I measured correctly. After reading a bit, I can't seem to figure out an easy solution to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wow! Was the plumber laughing while he was installing that? What the hell? Somebody just created a little project for you. I'd just aim for the hole in the ground and try not to make a mess!

So, I finally got around to busting up the concrete to try to move toilet flange 4". Unfortunately the pipe did not come from back wall as expected. Instead it comes from the side. I'm again at a stand still? I'm thinking about trying two 45 degree PVC pieces? Or maybe a 45 and a 90 coming up? Is it a bad idea to add turns to this drain pipe? Somebody please tell me there is a solution.
Thank you.

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5160.jpg

Bust it farther on the right and throw a 45° then the 90° so it is where you need it. Hopefully it is not fitting to fitting down there.

If that is 3" in the ground, use a 4x3 90 for your stand pipe. That way when the finished floor is done, you cut the pipe off level and put a 4x3 flush flange in there. Perfect height.

Back