New well in silty aquifer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psowa

Reaction score
Just did my first well ever but hope i could get a few questions answered so i dont make the mistakes that cost money. first about the well,

Water @9ft below surface but in very fine silty sand.
6in auger dug to 13ft before started to collapse.
water drilled in a 4in pvc with saw slices on three sides at lower 7ft
attempted to add pea gravel to the lower portion of this 20ft casing but as i said the silt collapses quick and tight against pcv.

so i have 9ft standing water at bottom, 3-4ft while pumping with 1/2hp jet pump/tank combo, foot valve to 1 1/4pvc on suction side.

i have pumped 20-25gallons of water with a bunch of silt, 1.5in of silt to every 5gallond of water in a bucket.

Will the silt ever stop?
will i cause a sink hole?
will i ruin the pump?
abandon and start over?

looking forward to your responses.

No it might not ever stop. Yes it can cause a sink hole. Yes it will ruin the pump. But if it is pumping water I would run it for hours or even days to see if it cleans up. If not you may need to start over. Saw cut slots and pea gravel is much to big. Find some 4" well casing with .020 slots. Then use a gravel pack that looks more like sand than gravel and has a average size of .020 to .030 particles. The smaller the sand the better the media filter. But the smaller the sand the smaller the slots need to be also.

They also make slotted casing with a fine mesh sock over it. Sometimes the sock will clog up where the small gravel usually won't. Also look at lake strainer socks.

So I decided to run the pump for the past hour and a half what is in the bottom of his bucket 10 to 15 minutes of running this method. Maybe a lake strainer?0808201841.jpg

Latest posts

Back