New well has gas

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerJoe

Reaction score
Hey all! Just got a new well drilled at my place and have discovered it is also producing natural gas. After about a week the bubbles in the water went away as did the built up gas pressure in the pump line. But am having an issue with sputtering after about an hour of pumping. The water is not too low because I turn the pump off and immediately back on again and it will run for another hour and then do it again. If anyone has any advice for this situation it would be great. The water also has an odd silvery shimmer cascading effect like when you pour a Guinness. I’m not sure if this is indicative of anything specific.

I installed a system I saw online that returns 1/3 of the pumped water back down into the well (Using s splitter and 2 Dole valves) that is supposed to help if dissolved gases in your water is causing an airlock in your pump. It seemed to help a little but still having the intermittent sputtering and acting as if there is no water when there is. The pump is a 1 year old Grundfos.

Help!

thanks a lot

joey

Last edited:
At our last house we had a system that was designed to vent off hydrogen gas, which was present in wells in the area. There was an excess air bleed off valve on the pressure tank, which didn't have a bladder. The water went in one side of the tank, and out the other, so any air or gas would go to the surface and vent off. There were 2 check valves in the well right below the pitless adapter, to inject air every time the pump cycled. I would think a system like this would remove any type of gas present in a well, if there is a lot of flammable gas it should be vented outside.

An Air Volume Control in the tank will expel the gas once it is in the tank. But air locking the pump is a different problem. I have heard of a flow inducer shroud with a small hole drilled in the top to let out the gas. But I have never seen it work.

However, you need to protect the pump from running when it loses prime. You could use a Cycle Sensor to do that when it senses low amps from air in the pump. Then you could set the Cycle Sensor for as little as 1 minute to restart the pump. It won't help keep the pump from air locking, but it would save the pump and burp it for you so you don't have to turn it off and on manually.

How much space do you have. We get radon gas out of one well with a large unpressurized holding tank with a vent to the roof of the building as a separator, and then pump with a jet pump into the pressure tank.

Back