New water inlet with smart meter and automatic shutoff valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBo

Reaction score
My latest project is to redo the piping for the water inlet to the house to include both a smart meter and automatic shutoff valves. I have few questions about the current piping:
- has the top copper bend before entering the house any meaning or purpose? Should I keep it?
- what is the purpose of the manual valve just above the isolation valve? Should I keep it?
Thank you for the help!
tempImage8iTEi2.png

I *ASSUME, its a drain leg for the Hose Bib to not freeze since it's exposed to the weather., So you drain it... But., then again... I could be wrong... Ole Skool install...

If you swap it out., install a Frost proof anti siphon hose bib in install it directly to the brick with some tapcons

Looks like the water service coming up out of the ground and going into the house. Then a hose Bibb with pvc with a check valve going into the ground for the irrigation. Probably wouldn’t pass inspection.

Looks like the water service coming up out of the ground and going into the house. Then a hose Bibb with pvc with a check valve going into the ground for the irrigation. Probably wouldn’t pass inspection.
Thank you, well it passed when we bought the house years ago but I would like ot redo it to be able to install the flow meter and the automatic shutoff valves. I am just not sure if I need to keep this bend at the top ....

I *ASSUME, its a drain leg for the Hose Bib to not freeze since it's exposed to the weather., So you drain it... But., then again... I could be wrong... Ole Skool install...

If you swap it out., install a Frost proof anti siphon hose bib in install it directly to the brick with some tapcons
Well it's Northern California so I would not worry too much about freezing temperatures...

Thank you, well it passed when we bought the house years ago but I would like ot redo it to be able to install the flow meter and the automatic shutoff valves. I am just not sure if I need to keep this bend at the top ....

You don’t need the loop. That’s a waste of pipe.

Latest posts

Back