New Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmr2040

Reaction score
Hello... Thanks in advance for any insight you may have...
I installed a new water heater today. All went well but the pressure release valve started to leak. I called the store, they gave me a new valve. I installed the new pressure release valve and it began to leak a shortly after install. Is it possible the two valves could be faulty? The valve on the heater I replace never leaked at all. The new water heater valve leaked before it even had a chance heat, so I don't think it was too much pressure due to heat.. It's a gas water heater from a big box store... I am regretting not calling a pro at this point. Both valves leak with rapid drips.

Thanks,

Larry

RE:
Thanks for all the replys...

The valve on the new tank leaked before the water was hot, 10 to 15 minutes after turning the water on.

I did lower the pressure to the house with no luck, still leaked.

The store gave me a new valve, it leaked as well.

The old tank that was replaced was not leaking from the pressure valve. If there was a pressure issue, would that old valve leak?

I am trying a new valve today from a plumbing store, not a big box store. If that does not work, I am calling a professional plumber to resolve this.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 6
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 6
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here are the pictures.. Thanks.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 3
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It may be similar to when people disconnect (or sometimes replace) a Carbon Monoxide alarm because it is going off, when if fact there actually was a CO problem. Could it be that maybe the temperature or pressure of the water heater is getting too high? Defective thermostat? Bad expansion tank?

Fixitron gave some good hints there.

Your incoming city water pressure might be too high, do you have a pressure reducing valve near the main shutoff, or by the water meter?
It might be defective, or you might need to add one.

You can purchase a simple water pressure gauge, which you can screw on to your water heater drain valve to test the water pressure there, with the gas valve off, no heating going on.

You can also attach that pressure gauge to a hose bibb, laundry sink, etc, to test house water pressure.

Where is it leaking ? Where it screws into the tank ? Did you apply pipe dope / Teflon tape to the threads of the T&P valve before screwing it into the tank ?

Is it leaking at the little lever you move to discharge water ? Is it leaking through the T&P valve and coming out the copper pipe ?

God bless
Wyr

Back