New tub drain with popup shutoff

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy49

Reaction score
I changed out the old drain from a bathtub and installed a new drain with popup shutoff(my own made up word). The drain came with a rubber gasket. I installed the drain with gasket and putty underneath the gasket. After watching a couple of utube videos, I think I may have messed up. The gasket should have gone between the shoe and underneath of the tub and the putty only should have been used between the tub and the ring of the drain. Correct? (I hope I am explaining it correctly).

I think you messed up.

I’m sure there are Youtube vids showing how to do it, where you can verify that.

Did you also add putty underneath the rim of the pop up?

Poster Andy49, you messed up.
The rubber gasket should have gone between the shoe and underneath of the tub and the putty only should have been used between the tub top side and the chrome piece that you mount from the top side.

I did mess up big time. I will re-do it. Do I need to buy a new gasket or just clean up the gasket that came with the fixture? The tub has not been used yet.

You will just need to examine it. If it is a classic black rubber, its' primary purpose is to provide a firm but gentle cushion interface only from metal shoe to tub.
It does not actually seal. The seal is the plumber's putty on the top.

Alway good to read install instructions slowly and carefully. Lesson learned.

Would have gone down the tubes if I did not get any help from you guys.

So I went to Home Depot this evening and took a pic of the instructions (which I did not pay much attention to before). The instructions don't mention anything regarding the gasket. However, I still plan to undo the drain assembly and put the gasket below the tub. Please let me know if I am missing something.

Oops, forgot to attach the pic. in the previous post.Drain-Instructions.JPG

Sounds like you're on the right track now.

Did you redo your overflow at all? Dunno if it was in the kit, but there's a thick, squishy gasket that sits between the face of the overflow pipe, and the back of the tub wall, too. That actually does prevent leaks, so it's important it's in the right spot.

I changed the overflow plate. There was no gasket that came with it. So I put thin bead of plumbers putty around it before tightening the center screw.

Back