New toilet bubbles....sometimes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pushinhornz

Reaction score
Hello.....I few months ago I replaced my 1.6 GPF toilet with a 1.28 GPF American Standard Cadet toilet. When it flushes, everything goes down but on occasion you can tell by the flush that it is a incomplete flush. When it is a "complete" flush a suction sound confirms that it sounds like the flush is complete. If it is a "incomplete" flush, and then I run the bathroom sink the toilet "bubbles" indicting that there is some type of obstruction in the way of the water draining to the septic tank. If I run the shower, the toilet bubbles. If I empty the kitchen sink, no bubbling happens nor does the sink drain slow or anything unusual. Is it possible that there isnt enough water to completely carry the waste to the septic tank? I rarely had this problem before with my old 1.6 GPF and when it did happen I new it was time to have my tank cleaned out. I'm considering buying a different toilet with a 1.6 GPF and seeing if that corrects the problem but don't want to send $ down the drain. No pun intended. FYI I had my septic pumped out in December of 2020 and the plumber said it appears that my septic is operating ok. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• markedup plumbing.jpg
    markedup plumbing.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 15
The clogged strain is likely due to the toilet having less capacity. Your piping is a very old style not conducive to lower flow toilets. Have you tried flushing twice to see if the second flush is consistently full flush?

Sometimes I can go weeks without the bubbling. Sometimes a day. I'm going to get a 1.6 GPF toilet this weekend and swap it out. Hope it works. Thanks for your input.

Save your money and flush it twice per use for a while and see if your problem gets worse or goes away.

You may very well need more water flow for your pipes but at this point it’s probably a good idea to clean the drain with a cable.

The toilet bubbling when the lavatory runs is a point of key information.

***UPDATE*** long story short....all of the toilets I ordered (10" cut in ) were damaged and for a solid 5 weeks the bubbling disappeared....so I'm back to square one. Thank you Twowaxhack for your input....but my single flushes worked fine for a while....I guess ill order a 1.6 GPF AGAIN and cross my fingers...frustrating

Without any doubt when the toilet bubbled when you ran water in the lavatory, that’s a stoppage in the piping.

No matter what type of toilet you install the problem is/was a stoppage in the pipe.

Back