New sink, help with new drain pipe fittings!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedimasteraubie

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm nearing the end of a kitchen renovation; sink & countertops installed this morning. After everything cured, I started reconnecting p-traps & such but I've run into a problem. With the locations of my new sink's drains, I cannot fit my garbage disposer into place as I'm being blocked by the first part of the P trap.

I'll elaborate on my fittings. Out of the wall I have a Y with a cleanout. Out of each side of the Y I have slip joint that goes to a 2-piece (an elbow with a long slide into the Y and J joint) p-trap with slip joints; all 1-1/2" fittings. But the piece that mates with they Y's slip is obstructing the disposer under the sink drain. I tried replacing part of the p-trap with a tight elbow into the Y but the disposer is still being obstructed by a good bit by the elbow.

Any ideas how to MacGuyver through this one? The only other idea I've had in my head is figure out how to cap the left side of the Y, and instead go through the cleanout, but I would need some help narrowing in on fittings if that's the best way to go. Bonus points if the solution can be solved with fittings regularly found at Home Depot or Menards.

All help that saves me a $300 service call is greatly appreciated!!!
MikeIMG_20200909_193926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you might be able to use the end cleanout and spin the disposal the way you have it sitting in the pic you may have to drill out the fitting so you have more room

Yeah. I'd make sure to eye it up with the p-trap parts to make sure it'll line up correctly, and get enough room going into the clean-out side.

Then cut the fittings off as close to the wye as you can. Use a socket saver bit to drill out what's left inside (take your time; keep it straight and level).

Get a street trap adapter (goes inside the fitting, as opposed to on the outside of a pipe), and a street clean out to replace what you took out, and go from there.

If it's not going to line up right, that'll take a lot more redesign starting back at the pipe in the wall.

Yeah. I'd make sure to eye it up with the p-trap parts to make sure it'll line up correctly, and get enough room going into the clean-out side.

Then cut the fittings off as close to the wye as you can. Use a socket saver bit to drill out what's left inside (take your time; keep it straight and level).

Get a street trap adapter (goes inside the fitting, as opposed to on the outside of a pipe), and a street clean out to replace what you took out, and go from there.

If it's not going to line up right, that'll take a lot more redesign starting back at the pipe in the wall.
This is looking as the best option right now. Thanks for pointing out Socket Savers (haven't seen those before)! From then I should be able to glue something new to my new socket that I can attach my slip-fit J joint to, and put a cap in my old Y end correct? Anything else special I need to do to either of those openings before installing new parts?

I think this if what CT18 is talking about. Then eliminate the left trap.

Attachments

• Kitchen drain with disposer.jpg
    Kitchen drain with disposer.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 8
Sorry, it must have a been either the camera angle or an optical illusion. Look at your first pic and how bent the disposal bracket looks.

I think this if what CT18 is talking about. Then eliminate the left trap.

Only thing is, in WI, where it seems the poster is from, we have to have a separate trap for garbage disposals.

Only other thing, after the socket saver, just make sure to prime it real well. A smidge extra glue isn't a terrible idea, either.

Latest posts

Back