new sink drain - stumped

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredhead1260

Reaction score
Hi - I am trying to connect the drain for a new sink to the existing pipe in the wall. It seems to be 2 inch and that elbow in the photo is glued on, but I cannot find another 90 degree 2 inch threaded elbow anywhere. I suppose I could cut it and glue something else that I'd need in that location, but I am hoping to save that step. Home Depot doesn't seem to have what I need. Is 2 inch just not used anymore?

No I didn't cut the crooked hole in the back of the cabinet. Nor did I place the pipes in that location.

The drain pipe from the sink is roughly lined up with the supply lines you can also see in the photo so the plan is to have the trap more or less run straight back toward the wall then 90 to the right, straight for 4-5 inches, then 90 up into the 90 that is there already. Or if that doesn't work, I can be about 1-2 inches higher and skip the 90 to 90 at the end.

IMG_3097.jpg
IMG_3095.jpg

What you have there is not my favorite method and frankly stupid (IMHO).
What it is was a "hard pipe" p-trap, 1-1/2".
Much preferred: Cut just the elbow fitting to yield a pipe stub.
Then use a "tubular" 1-1/2" p-trap, they come white or black and even though some labels say PVC or ABS, are polypropylene. We get the ones that come with the taper slip joint washers that are orange or blue...avoid the translucent white ones, cuz they are not soft and flexible.
You will need to glue the trap adapter that comes in the bag, or use a Mission (or equal) no hub adapter for 1.5" pipe x 1.5" tubular.

Back