New Shower Diverter Valve...but still water flow from bathtub faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LifeFlicks

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this board.

I had been having problems with my shower diverter valve and decided to do something about it today. I went to the plumbing supply place with intentions of getting a new hot water valve (worn stem, handle spins) and a new shower diverter valve, which was not quite as worn, but would be trouble in the future.

Well I left the store with a complete Sterling 3H Rebuild Kit. Got it all installed, turn the water back on at the meter, mixed the hot/cold for a shower and gave the shower diverter valve a twist. Well, I still have a steady flow of water from the hot water side, although it's not much, but aggravating. I thought having all new valves, washers, seats, even handles, would solve all my problems.

I installed the new shower diverter in the closed position, with the water being diverted to the faucet. I did notice the sleeve washer is kind of loose fitting on the shower diverter and there is not a washer in front of it. Maybe Sterling uses only one washer; I don't know.

Am I still missing a washer in the shower diverter? What did I do wrong during the installation?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

can you find an exploded view....did you remove the diverter and check the flat washer (if there is one)if the screw is loose or if the washer is creased?????

d
did you change the seat on the hot side????

Yes, I did change the Valve Seat on the hot side. I got new Valve Seats in the Rebuild Kit I purchased from the plumbing supply store. I changed the hot and cold sides Valve Seats, but did not change the shower diverter seat, as I couldn't get the existing seat to unscrew - rusted I guess and probably original, and I didn't want to exert too much pressure on it. Sprayed with some WD-40 and might try again later. So I just installed the new shower diverter valve with the new washers already in place.

Back