New Septic System

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreder622

Reaction score
Hi ALL, New to site.
We own some property and will be building a cabin on it sometime in future atleast 10 yrs down the road. We do camp there 2-3 times a year. Was thinking to put in a septic system this year to dump the camper for now and then when we build the cabin we we will be setup with the septic system.

My concern is with the lack of use as it would only be used a few times a year when were camping there. Would it be ok to have it installed now with very limited use or not?

We are selling a nice cabin which hasn't been full time occupied since 2002. For the last 5 yrs. just visits to check on things. Buyer requested the tank to be pumped and an inspection done. Virtually no solids at all. Both sides of the 1250 gal. tank were full of water. I kept all fixtures dripping during winter to ensure no freeze ups. Passed with flying colors. That said, you cant really assume everything is 100%. The trans evaporation absorption field in such a situation is as dry and receptive as it gets. In order to fully test, the system would need to be put under its engineered load and monitored. I called it good after paying $625.00 just to have it pumped and a few notes scribbled & confirm the original permit. You should be ok. Just be sure there’s no chance of surface infiltration into the bed or chance of compaction from vehicles.

In MN most new systems are mounds and run from 10- $15,000!

Just had a sand filter system installed in western NY, cost was $8700 plus $200 for the permit.

Latest posts

Back