New pressure tank, lots of air in the line still a week later.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure you can just put a bladderless tank back in. Sounds like the bleeder is working fine. So, you would need to reinstall a check valve with a Schrader on the inlet, and an AVC or Air Volume Control on the side of the tank. You can get galvanized like Quicktank, or fiberglass with an AVC on top.

You may not have noticed any smell because you are still injecting air in the lines? Plug the bleeder and the smell may come back. Is iron orr sulfur common in your area? Ask the local well company.

I think I would have to order one, do you think the bladder tank I've got in now would be ok to leave running for a week or 2? Would putting a bladerless one back in requiring any special priming or prep?

Not really hurting anything except for the air blowing a glass out of your hand and such. An air vent before a check valve would be a temporary fix. A bladderless tank requires lots of special treatment. Need to make sure the bleeder, check valve, Schrader,, and AVC are working properly, which requires a little regular maintenance. Bladder tanks take out all the maintenance.

Sprung a leak in the side of the old one. If I where to got back to the old style, would anything need to be done on the well side? Or just slap a new one in and off to the races?
Without knowing how your whole water system is set up I can't really tell you what to do, but if it worked fine until the old tank started leaking then you should of gotten a similar tank. You can't use a bladder tank with the system that had an air injector in the well, or you will get air coming out of the faucets. Those systems can be converted to a bladder tank but it involves pulling the pump and removing the air injector fitting in the well, and if you cannot do that yourself it may be expensive.

Back