New laterals

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmarion

Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying a new home and the laterals were recently replaced. The back yard looks terrible with the large mounds/lines of dirt. We have had a very dry summer so the rain has not settled it at all. I'm new to septic, so my question is what do I need to do to settle the dirt? Do I just leave it and wait or do something to speed up the process? Any input is appreciated.

Having the current owners fix it is not an option. Does anyone have any experience with leveling out the dirt over the drain field?

One thing to be careful of when using equipment over the leach field is heavy equipment crushing the piping. Tracked equipment that spreads the weight over a very wide area is best. Even driving your vehicle over the leach field is generally a bad idea.

Is it possible that you could use a shovel and rake to level everything out, or is the field too large for that?

I'm using water to settle the soil and raking it out, but it is a big field and will likely take weeks to finish it. Just looking for some more effective ways to handle without damaging the field.

Latest posts

Back