New hose bib installed - part of old pipe remains

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajm222

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering if you all thought this would lead to any issues. I had a plumbing company come out because our old spigot was broken and leaking. After completion, I went under the house to check the work that was done.They left the end of the old line that exits the foundation for some reason. They also seem to have cracked the cinder block a bit. I am guessing the old line was stuck and wouldn’t come out for some reason so maybe they jammed the new one next to it. The cinder block still seems stable at the moment, and there do no appear to be any cracks on the exterior. The new spigot works fine. Anyway, just wondering if this is acceptable. Pics attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• 8504C3D9-49AA-456D-AD6E-7FBBF8072D4F.jpeg
    8504C3D9-49AA-456D-AD6E-7FBBF8072D4F.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 9C5F64D2-02B0-450D-BB4D-2D3438B8F447.jpeg
    9C5F64D2-02B0-450D-BB4D-2D3438B8F447.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 9E32A261-F2D2-456B-831C-421A0578BD4A.jpeg
    9E32A261-F2D2-456B-831C-421A0578BD4A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Yeah, I was wondering if that might be the case. Seems very secure and not harming the other pipe, but figured it couldn’t hurt to ask. Pretty sure the concrete wasn’t this cracked before but can’t be 100%. Thanks for the input.

Is that new copper line pinched/kinked where they are both going through the hole. It better be tight with it being up against the block like that, slight vibration will wear through that copper.

Yeah it is. Should it have been surrounded by something to protect it? Seems very very tight.

Yes it should be protected with insulation, like armaflex. Why couldn't they hammer the old piece of copper out. Do you ever get freezing temps where your at. It doesn't look like a frost free either

and no, i don't think the new line is pinched at all. i checked for that and the new line seems ok.

Yes it should be protected with insulation, like armaflex. Why couldn't they hammer the old piece of copper out. Do you ever get freezing temps where your at. It doesn't look like a frost free either

it isn't a frost free because he suggested that was a lot more expensive and didn't seem to think it was necessary. i am in the Richmond, VA area and we certainly get freezing temps (but we're in the South) but i don't think the old one was frost free either and i don't recall ever having an issue. Not sure why he couldn't get the old one out, unless he kept it to secure the new one or something.

I am sure it will be fine. Just not something I would want. Plus if you wrapped it that would help with the cold temps. We are doing a big data center for Microsoft in Boydton Va.

Thank you. I really appreciate the feedback. I get the impression this is a place that charges more than average and stays in business by doing as many jobs per day as possible and cutting corners when they can. Will probably go back to our usual plumbing company, who I am appreciating a bit more now. We have another bib that could use replacement, and maybe I will have them glance at this when we they come out and see if they think I should do something about it.

Latest posts

Back