New gurgling noise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamberg

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had our kitchen redone (and all of the plumbing) 2 years back. We have a prep sink opposite the regular sink.

In the the last few weeks I started hearing a gurgling noise coming from the drain on the opposite sink that is being used.

Any idea what "generally" causing such noises?

(side note: next to the prep sink is a free-standing ice maker with a constant (open) drain)

yeah, i couldn't decide which sink was opposite side nor which one was gurgling. Or was it happening to both?

"gurgling noise coming from the drain on the opposite sink that is being used."

As a side note: The "ice makers constant (open) drain" typically drops into a water sealed trap drain that may be required to have a trap primer to prevent it from drying out.

Clarification... Both sinks are opposite each other prep sink is in an island, ice maker is next to prep sink - they do not share a trap. Dish sink is on an exterior wall. Both gurgle when the other is used.

yeah, tough to confirm vents when in wall.

Maybe some blockage somewhere.

But if those 2 vents tie together higher up somewhere in attic or wherever, a blockage in a common vent could cause that gurgling.

Are either of those sinks Island type sinks?

The piping under the prep sink should be visible. You should check to see how it's piped.
Whether it's the tradition piping, like this.
Island Venting.jpg
Or maybe they went with an AAV(Air Admittance Vent),if that's allowed in your area.

If it's traditional, maybe adding an AAV would help.

(semi) traditional trap setup (there was significant "structure" they had to work around.

Like I said in the beginning, this has performed perfectly over the last 1.5 years. Only started with the gurgling a couple weeks back

Based on that ^ picture alone a plumber didnt do the work. If it was I want his/her license number.

yes or no. Looks like the work of a good carpenter and lousy plumber. Why not call the original installer back and have them fix it?

I'll bet you a nickel that the island sink goes straight down into the kitchen waste or down and straight over to the kitchen.
Sorry, seen it way to many times, a classic handyman job.

yes or no. Looks like the work of a good carpenter and lousy plumber. Why not call the original installer back and have them fix it?
2 years old - problem (gurgling) just started. Love to tell them to come fix but that's not realistic (after 2 years)

I'll bet you a nickel that the island sink goes straight down into the kitchen waste or down and straight over to the kitchen.
Sorry, seen it way to many times, a classic handyman job.

OK, so assume for a second I only have a basic knowledge of what you are talking about (which is actually all I have!)

What do you mean by goes straight down into kitchen waste or down and straight over kitchen?

That convoluted island sink trap is an S trap.
There also is no vent in there.
Adding an AAV would help that sink drain.

Meanwhile, both sinks apparently share a common drain line, and it is probably partly blocked, so it is draining slowly.

So when a sink runs, water backs up and burps the trap on the other sink.

So the drain line or lines likely need snaking out, and the island sink needs an air admittance valve.

And possibly the vent pipe out the roof is partly blocked.
Or it could be traveling horizontal for some distance in the attic, and not properly pitched, and is getting full of rain water which blocks the vent pipe.

That convoluted island sink trap is an S trap.
There also is no vent in there.
Adding an AAV would help that sink drain.

Meanwhile, both sinks apparently share a common drain line, and it is probably partly blocked, so it is draining slowly.

So when a sink runs, water backs up and burps the trap on the other sink.

So the drain line or lines likely need snaking out, and the island sink needs an air admittance valve.

And possibly the vent pipe out the roof is partly blocked.
Or it could be traveling horizontal for some distance in the attic, and not properly pitched, and is getting full of rain water which blocks the vent pipe.

@Jeff Handy OK, that makes sense!

Strictly speaking from a logical point of view; everything was working fine up until a month ago - so it sounds like there is some sort of blockage. Based on both sinks gurgling, would that blockage be between the sinks or after the prep sink? (I know the kitchen soil pipe runs from the exterior wall to the center of the house, so the prep sink is after the regular sink)

The blockage, if there is one, is probably after both sink drains join together.
But because the island has no vent, it could be between the island and main sink.

The lack of a vent on the island trap makes diagnosing much more difficult.

You can buy a 25 foot hand spinner type of snake, and snake out both drains by taking apart the trap, clean anything stuck right there, then run the snake down the house drains.

Or buy a good drain cleaner like Instant Power from Home Depot, pour a half gallon down each sink, wait a half hour to an hour, then flush with about five minutes of straight hot tap water.
If either sink backs up, repeat the process.

If you have a bathroom or floor drain in the basement, make sure it is not overflowing while doing this, sometimes they are connected.

Meanwhile, you can add an AAV to the island vent, which will help prevent clogs or sewer stink in the future.
Or hire a plumber or handyman to do all this work.

Back