New Gas Line Estimate

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVdiy

Reaction score
Hi, I’m hoping to get some unbiased opinions. I need a new gas line run from my meter to a new second range. I’ve been told in the past the existing line can’t supply 2 (they are 65000 BTU each). I’ve also been told the new line could be run on the outside of the house. I’m fine with that as that side of the house isn’t visible. The line needs to go 32 feet down the side of the house, up approx 10 feet and straight thru the wall. Researching online, according to aggregated data from over a dozen sites, the cost is estimated at $12-25 per foot. Or at $300-1500 for the job with the absolute highest outlier listed at $2000 for something more complicated. However, I’m getting local quotes for nearly $4000. There is no digging, no going inside walls or ceilings. It seems like a pretty basic job. Honestly we have done all of the renovations (plumbing, electric, drywall, paint, flooring, carpentry, etc) by ourselves in this whole house and the only reason I’m looking for a pro is because it’s gas. Am I off on thinking these estimates are insanely high? I know better than to believe everything I read online, but info was pretty consistent across a good number of sites. And what I’m getting isn’t a little higher - it’s 2-4x higher. I’m in Las Vegas where the housing market is still very reasonable as well. Any advise would be appreciated. TIA!

I am a semi-retired plumbing contractor (since 1975) who still works now and again and I charge $250 per hour and sometimes lower if there are a lot of hours combined. Other plumbing contractors I know charge around $125 to $195 per hour. Helpers are $65/hr. These are insured, licensed plumbers.
The work you describe would also need to be inspected, so there are permit costs and time to wait for an inspector possibly.
Cost per foot does not take into account small one-off jobs as far as I know.
The job itself should take no greater than 6 hrs, but we pay helper for a day. Plus materials I think you should be able to find a small shop to do it for under $3,000.

Yeah sadly, welcome to reality. Gas installers rip people off right and left. I had a 70 foot straight run from my meter to a pool heater with the trench already dug by the electrician quoted for $4500! The only reason I got the quote is because my pool installer told me they'd do it for $1800 but if I could find it cheaper they'd go with whatever I found. Needless to say, I went with theirs and the guy was surprised I could not find it cheaper. The ONLY reason I did not do this myself was because in my county gas installation is required to be done by a licenses gas plumber.

Back