New free standing range coming on Friday

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I need some assistance from the brainiacs here. I have a new free standing Frigidaire Air Fry 30" stove being delivered in two days for my kitchen remodel. I have a 3/4 gas line coming out of the wall, with an 90 degree elbow, a 1" nipple, then the shut off valve with the gas connection. This set up protrudes about 2 1/2" out of the wall, making the new stove stick out 2 1/2" from the wall. Does anyone know if I could cut the drywall behind the stove, add an access panel, and configure all the gas lines within the wall, so the stove will fit flush?

I wouldn’t install a flex connector connection in the wall.

You could cut the wall and move the gas lines position then patch the wall up or install the access. But no flex line coming out of the wall.

Usually the stove has a recessed location to locate the gas valve snd flex line. Usually at the bottom there’s an 8” recess that runs the length of the range.

Your range should have a diagram that located the positions of gas and electrical.
ED24218B-790F-471F-9CF4-0A00FD355C64.jpeg
As you see though, these directions are flawed. They’ve written one thing and have drawn the opposite. 🤣🤷‍♂️
But you get the idea.

You might could shorten the nipple coming out of the wall then install a St. 90 to put you close and parallel to the wall. Then install your gas valve.

Post a good clear pic of your current gas piping, unless your old stove is still in the way.
Put a tape measure in the shot for reference.

What model range did you go with ? I’m in the market for one.

Is galvanized legal for gas pipe?
I have run across it, probably no biggie.
Did you find any more behind the wall?
Nice little setup there.
Should there be a drip leg?

Is galvanized legal for gas pipe?
I have run across it, probably no biggie.
Did you find any more behind the wall?
Nice little setup there.
Should there be a drip leg?
Galvanized is all they used here for years. Salt in the air will eat black iron up. Now copper is the material of choice. We have dry gas......

I use hdpe gas line for underground runs larger than 5/8.

My attic is black pipe, but the previous owners added 3/4 gal, so I continued it. I purchased parts for a drip leg, but it would have protruded outside the cavity.

When your new stove comes see if there’s a 2” recess on the left side back facing the stove.

Around Chicago area, all the gas pipe is black pipe.
I have read that they claimed that bits of galvanizing could come off and clog things up, not sure if that was the real reason for it.
Yes, the gas company uses plastic now for underground, with a tracer wire.
That’s also what I see being run under a patio to gas grills, heaters, etc.

Around Chicago area, all the gas pipe is black pipe.
I have read that they claimed that bits of galvanizing could come off and clog things up, not sure if that was the real reason for it.

We had some foreign galvanize that the coating sealed up pinholes in the pipe. There has been cases where it’s flaked off and clogged regulators and even caused malfunctions.

There are different qualities of gas, some is wet and some is dry.

The problem is after the gas leaves the refinery and is piped to your house. Lower pressure delivery lines allow liquid vapor to condense into a liquid.
That’s how it was explained to me.

We use 2lb gas systems and never have condensation in the pipe. 75psi typically in the street and yard lines before the utilities regulator at the meter. Some are higher though.

It’ll get your attention when you rip one out of the ground with your backhoe...🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
To put a drip leg you would’ve had to drill you hole in the box to one side then use a tee to extend the drip leg down then installed your valve horizontal.
2EF7D2A5-FE22-4194-A108-EBBE8A759466.jpeg
like this....

I like to put the valve so it cuts the drip off but if it doesn’t fit......

Your drawing was my original plan, but I have studs to the left, a sill plate on the bottom, and the electrical box to the right. I do have an 8" area for the hookups, so it is possible once the stove is here, I can throw the tee, a 2" nipple and cap, and point the fitting outward. I already purchased the parts and sure don't want my orifices clogged up on the new stove. Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Back