New delta shower cartridge not shutting off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huked

Reaction score
Hey folks went to replace the delta shower valve in the spare bathroom. Put in the aftermarket cartridge and when I turn on the water to the shower it just runs water through it like the valve is not working. Try turning the knob and same thing, it won't shut off.... Took the cartridge back and grabbed another one(same part number and same result! Seems like an easy fix but hours later same result. Please help!

Attachments

• 5FD99A54-CB29-47E2-A3B5-F33F2E329A3E.jpeg
    5FD99A54-CB29-47E2-A3B5-F33F2E329A3E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Use a Delta factory cartridge. Not a knock off brand.

Make sure the new cartridge is the same length as the old one.

There are two lengths of that style.

Yea I went and picked up the other one they had as well thinking that was the fix and it was too long. Will order a delta. Thanks

Danco, really tries, but sometimes you gotta go original equipment. And it is sad, but I've been friends with the owner of Danco for years.

Use a Delta factory cartridge. Not a knock off brand.

Make sure the new cartridge is the same length as the old one.

There are two lengths of that style.
But just for the record water should not flow through the cartridge like that correct? Turning the lever didnt do anything so that is the cartridge correct? My wife is on my tail about it and wants me to call a plumber to do the repair but I'm like no this should be super easy. Is it common for aftermarkets to do that?

But just for the record water should not flow through the cartridge like that correct? Turning the lever didnt do anything so that is the cartridge correct? My wife is on my tail about it and wants me to call a plumber to do the repair but I'm like no this should be super easy. Is it common for aftermarkets to do that?
If you have the correct cartridge and it’s not a defective cartridge, water should not flow in the off position.

I was having a similar issue after I reversed my cartridge since hot/cold were reversed. Took me a little while to realize that half of the cartridge was still inside valve body.

I had to take out that piece with smaller pair of channel locks since it was a little stuck and once it was out then locked the two pieces of the cartridge back together and reinstalled.

Latest posts

Back