New circuit box for well pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkerpv

Reaction score
Last year I had a new well controller installed for my well pump. the plumber said i needed to replace the 2 wire cable with 3 wire plus ground from my Home circuit box to the well pump power circuit box in my basement location. The existing circuit box for the well pump is about a 65 foot run from the home circuit box. I assume at least 3 wire 12 gauge is required. The well pump and well pump controller are both protected by the same 30 amp breaker. Do I need separate 30 amp breakers for both. I do not know what HP the well pump is. I assume at least 3/4 hp. Two wire cable with ground is run from the well pump circuit breaker to the pump. The well pump is about 300 ft from the well circuit box. The system has run perfectly since i bought the house 10 years ago. Except for the required replacement of the controller.

My question is do I replace the existing 2 wire from Home circuit box to well pump circuit box with 3 wire 10 gauge or is 12 gauge sufficient. And should I have separate 30 amp circuit breakers for both the pump and controller or is one OK. Or should i use 20 Amp breakers.

I will also have a few outlets and lights tied into the box using a 15 amp breaker and a crawl space exhaust fan on a separate 15 amp breaker.

Last edited:
Number 12 wire is fine. You can go a total of 480' with a 3/4HP. You only need two wires and a ground from the breaker, through the pressure switch, and to the pump control box. But you will need three wires plus a ground from the control box to the pump/motor.

Latest posts

Back