New Bottle Traps.....Are they permitted?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nukedaddy

Reaction score
Many of our US based faucet manufacturers are now selling bottle-style traps with no visible weir. (See many examples on Amazon)
The current Illinois code does not appear to allow the.
Does anyone know of or live in a state that specifically mentions / permits bottle traps?

Calif Plumbing Code, based on IAPMO/UPC allow mentions that they are allowed for "special conditions".
The individual jurisdiction matters and it can be a PITA with some inspectors. So, we have to pick our fights.
Helps a lot if the trap is UPC listed.

In the City of Berkeley, they somehow have come to believe that pressure reducing valves need to have "two clean-outs", the part where you remove the internal screen for maintenance. Well, on most PRVs, the units has only one "cleanout", because everything is stacked. No effect either way.
Most major shops in town refuse to challenge the stupidos and just buy the Watts 25AUB with two "cleanouts". Idiots!

Yeah... The two clean out deal smells like a “that’s how we always did it” reasoning with no-one taking up the flag to be first to fight.
i feel the same about air chambers as shock absorbers on every fixture. Virtually all of them will be waterlogged in a few weeks as the air is dissolved into the water. Proper sizing of water distribution piping to hold flow speeds under 4 or 5 feet per second will eliminate most water hammer issues. And bladder or piston shock absorbers should always be accessible for future maintenance.

I use them. I politely explain to the inspector. This is a bottle trap not an old barrel trap. The new ones aren’t big and bulky and do give you the 2” required trap depth.

Back