New bathroom addition - should I use a offset flange or cut concrete?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RE111

Reaction score
So, I’m in a tough spot and wanted to get some peoples opinions. I’m in the middle of doing a addition to my house where I am adding a bathroom onto the master bedroom. This is a new addition with a new foundation. We completed the rough in plumbing and I was waiting for my plumber to add the bathtub so I can call in the inspection. My plumber has been so so and they are more of a general contractor. My architect hasn’t been impressed with their work and I’m not sure if I’m a fan either.

As mentioned above they were supposed to install the tub when they did the rough in plumbing but they said they couldn’t because they needed a different pvc fitting that they claimed is hard to get. They were taking a long time to do this and not communicating when they would have it done. So I had another plumber come by today to quote doing the project.

The new plumber pointed out that the toilet line is too close to where the edge of tub will be. It’s currently 12 inches and it needs to be at least 15. He told me he needs to cut concrete to move it and he said the tub drain line is off by 4 inches and needs to be moved as well. He also mentioned some other small things.

He quoted me $1600 to move the lines and finish the rough in. I called my original plumber and told them this (not that I had another plumber, just that the tub and toilet are too close) and they said they can come by this week and finish the tub and use a 2.5 inch offset flange to correct the toilet. I’m a little hesitant of this because I feel like it’s a patch job on what is ultimately a new addition.

So what do you guys think? Should I bite the bullet and have this more established plumber cut concrete and move the lines or should I let the original plumber use a offset?

my concern is the original plumber is not reliable and I’m not sure about their quality of work. Also, I feel like a offset flange is something you use on a old house where you are moving a toilet. Not a new addition.

Thanks. But besides that what do you think about the options? Does it sound like a offset flange is the wrong way to go for a new addition?

I agree with havasu. Cut the floor and do it right. Doesn't sound like these guys you had would do it
right for you anyway. NOT QUALIFIED.

Back