Need to run a second fireplace line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jstinn1

Reaction score
Homeowner here. I have natural gas in my house ran only to a vent free gas fireplace. As such it’s only 1/2 black iron pipe. I am wanting to install an additional vent free gas fireplace in the covered patio. I don’t really want to cut and rethread the pipe in the attic. My question is can I just pull out my existing firebox and tee it off where it meets and run CSST back up the wall and over and down the new fireplace wall? Second question will it provide enough flow? I’m looking at probably 40 ft or so to the new fireplace. I doubt I would run both at the same time but it’s possible. I’d like to have both pilot lights on at all times. Thanks in advance!

I would need to see the entire layout of all BTU loads, pipe sizes, distances, meter and appliance locations

I would need to see the entire layout of all BTU loads, pipe sizes, distances, meter and appliance locations
Hopefully this helps you see what I’m thinking. 1/2” black iron pipe running 30’ going to existing 24” gas logs wanting to T off right before that fireplace and run a 1/2” csst line 40’ to second fireplace

Some gas fireplaces have extremely low btu’s, they are just for visual appeal.
Like typical fake fire logs.
Others have blowers and are really a decorative furnace, so you need to look on the info plate on the firebox or the manual or call the manufacturers.

Natural gas pressure is surprising low, so when you tee off you are often losing all the mojo.

Can you add a tee at the meter, and go up the wall and into the attic with black pipe?
Then change to flex down to the new fireplace?

Look up the Baltimore city gas explosion from this past Monday,
Gas is not something a homeowner should be doing. If you run yellow csst it will need to be bonded. Around here the only yellow you see any more is what a homeowner or unlicensed professional bought from a local big box store. We rip that out several times a month for one reason or another.
what’s your gas supply pressure? That is needed to determine sizing along with the Btu rating of both your existing unit and your new one. Most likely you have low pressure service and the line is to small and will not support both units. At 70’ of sch 40 you only get about 60k btu. You are using csst that will cause an even greater pressure drop. You will need to run a new line back to within 3’ of the meter from the second fire place.

Back