Need to put an isolation valve in a pressurized 1 1/4 pvc line.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw666

Reaction score
Hey,
I need to isolate a water storage tank that has a 1 1/4 pvc line out the bottom. There is a gizmo called an "Alladin EasyFit" valve that is the an o-ring sealed pair of blocks that contain a cutter and
ball valve body that lets you cut a ball valve into a pressurized line. Sadly it seems to be Cu only and not big enough.

My question:
Is there any US available thing that lets me put a ball valve into a live pvc 1 1/4 inch water line without draining a 30,000 gal tank?
I can find some saddle tap things but nothing that is the above.

Failing that any other ideas very welcome.

Thanks,
j

How much pressure is on the line you’re trying to install the valve have ?

How much pressure is on the line you’re trying to install the valve have ?
Not much - just the head pressure of the tank, which is about 3 feet at this point. Contents of tank precious but not currently at 30000.
I think that comes to about 1.3 psi, so call it 2.

j

Alternative is to use a freeze plug service.
They come out and use CO2 typically or Nitrogen with the guys I used to use.
Jet Swet is way cheap but practice perhaps.
PVC Sch 40 does become embrittled with age and prone to failure. We always recommend copper tube or nipple first, then valve, then the PVC.

You can use foam board and dry ice pellets to freeze it. Build a box around it with foamboard then fill it with dry ice. Wait about an hour.

OR

You could probably just do it live with hot pvc solvent. Blue glue we call it. Or Christys hot glue

I’d try it live, I know it’ll work. Just leave the valve open for about 10 minutes and use a hair dryer after you glue it up.

Make sure the pipe and surrounded by area is warm. Build a tent and put a heater in there to get it around 90 degrees.

You’re not dealing with any significant pressure......

Is the top of the tank open? Could you attach a cork of the correct size to a stick and reach down and cork it from the inside?

Hey guys -
I started in on this thing the same evening all these great ideas came in and have been hacking on in all yesterday so didn't get around
to thanking you all until now. Still in progress but thanks ever so much. We are ok with farm plumbing here but some of this stuff is first I've
heard. Miserable to have no water at all for the family (long story) and even worse when it's my problem.
Thanks again!

j

Another option, when your dealing with such low pressure, is just cut the pipe off and install a short nipple with a no-hub connector, if your quick about it you shouldn't loose 5 gallons of water. Have your valve screwed on and open, once the no-hub is tightened shut the valve. Google no-hub connectors, they're available for under $5.

Back