Need to move AAV slightly

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenitech

Reaction score
Hi! I know very little about plumbing but what I do know is that the AAV under my kitchen sink obstructs the area where the under sink soap dispenser connects. Is it possible for me to angle the vent away from it at like a 45 degree angle or perhaps have a joint that positions it like 6 inches over?
While we’re here, there’s something off about how the previous owner had the garbage disposal connected. There’s no thread on the outlet. The whole pipe assembly started to sag in the basement and I just secured it back up with straps. Seems hastily done. Thanks!

Attachments

• 23C80ACB-7CA7-4326-9EB7-57CE88D83E0F.jpeg
    23C80ACB-7CA7-4326-9EB7-57CE88D83E0F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 420E45B6-893E-4126-B0CC-099AE8FDA139.jpeg
    420E45B6-893E-4126-B0CC-099AE8FDA139.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Post more pics, I don’t see anything about your saggy pipe from the disposer.

And your disposer pic does not show the whole setup.

You can add extensions etc to move the riser for the AAV, but your pics are not showing enough to advise properly.

All he needs is 2 45’s and a 6” piece of pipe to offset the vent.

Strap the sagging pipe......

Post more pics, I don’t see anything about your saggy pipe from the disposer.

And your disposer pic does not show the whole setup.

You can add extensions etc to move the riser for the AAV, but your pics are not showing enough to advise properly.
Thanks Jeff. I did fix the sagging pipe in the basement with some straps which allows the connection to meet better with the disposal out it still seems just not a great, tight fit.

Attachments

• 68F9E55F-C053-4AD0-8B05-3425CD20C198.jpeg
    68F9E55F-C053-4AD0-8B05-3425CD20C198.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • B596AFDD-6633-4A85-8F8C-E13BC80C7F3A.jpeg
    B596AFDD-6633-4A85-8F8C-E13BC80C7F3A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
All he needs is 2 45’s and a 6” piece of pipe to offset the vent.

Strap the sagging pipe......
Thanks, I’m not familiar with the lingo. Are you saying something like the attached? Or if you can sketch it on a piece of paper. Ok just curious if this is something I can take care of without creating another problem if I don’t do it correctly. Thanks!

Attachments

• 140BBC3D-F2C6-4C9D-BE80-F40BE3622892.jpeg
    140BBC3D-F2C6-4C9D-BE80-F40BE3622892.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Thanks, I’m not familiar with the lingo. Are you saying something like the attached? Or if you can sketch it on a piece of paper. Ok just curious if this is something I can take care of without creating another problem if I don’t do it correctly. Thanks!
That looks good.

STOP with the complexities. The answer is simple. Change to a different soap dispenser, one that draws from a full container...like this one:

Sink Soap Dispenser, Ohuhu Soap Dispenser for Kitchen Sink, Refined Brass Pump and Head, Coated with Chrome Plating, Kitchen Soap Dispenser with 47" No-Spill Extension Tube Kit, No More Refills

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083HXYDT5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HGHWZDWQX5NJ74221EMR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

EXTREMELY high quality; this is significantly better (and less costly) than other ones I had in the past, and no more hanging bottles.

Haha. OMG. funny because I was going to also do a search for a solution on the dispenser end as well. Well, this definitely will be a much better option. Thanks for sending!

Haha. OMG. funny because I was going to also do a search for a solution on the dispenser end as well. Well, this definitely will be a much better option. Thanks for sending!

Always search for the simple solution. >wink<

Now let me tell you I'm a huge fan of these, as well as surface mount air switches. I've had a number of them in my homes. This particular soap dispenser is really high quality. Solid brass. Be warned however it will take a looooooong time to prime that pump. But once it is primed you are good to go. Now, a piece of advice: there is a check valve at the bottom of the tube that sits in the bottle of detergent. Get yourself a few Stainless Steel nuts to slide over the tube; they'll sit atop the check valve. These will act as weights and keep your check valve and tube in the bottom and inhibit lifting out.

I guess it’s easier for a homeowner to not alter the pipe. For me altering the pipe would’ve been the easier and cheapest way. It would’ve also corrected the first plumbers mistake.

The part I recommend it is $15. Not exactly going to break anybody’s bank. Installation is a snap.

probably a bit of a stretch to call this a plumbers mistake. those soap dispensers go in after the counter is in; the drain assembly was put in during the rough plumbing before the plumber knew what was going to be there on the counter.

The part I recommend it is $15. Not exactly going to break anybody’s bank. Installation is a snap.

probably a bit of a stretch to call this a plumbers mistake. those soap dispensers go in after the counter is in; the drain assembly was put in during the rough plumbing before the plumber knew what was going to be there on the counter.
It was a mistake. It’s also placed too high.

Often hot water dispensers and other items are installed in those sink holes.

Simply put, it’s in the wrong place.

Why do I get to say that ? Because I’m a master plumber that corrects mistakes like this on a regular basis.

It would’ve cost me $3.00 and 10 minutes and it would be out of the way.

That plumbing is not original to the home. It was most likely added with the sink in the hole.......but that doesn’t matter. Once he put the sink in the hole he should’ve moved the vent out of the way of the hole.

Lack of experience......

Last edited:
If you look at the photo, this appears to be a solid surface countertop. This does not indicate that there were mounting holes in the sink. Though you can not absolutely tell from the photo, it appears as if this may be an undermount to solid surface sink, w/o any holes. The placement of any additional devices, such as a soap dispenser or dispensers, an air switch for disposal and or a water spigot for hot water or RO water needs to be done to accommodate what's there. My own homes since 1992 have had a number of sinks installed and all of them were rimless undermounts.

My new home here did not have an air switch or soap dispenser. However, I hired the countertop guys who were working next door to bring over their diamond drill and drill two holes for me. The first thing they did is clear out the undersink, check for all the plumbing lines, and sink mount hardware and then they told me where the holes could go. Took them but a few minutes but they checked for what was there, didn't tell me to "move this--".

There is an interpretation that plumbers are following to the installation of AAVs. which explains what you are seeing. You don't have to like it, and you can even tell an inspector to go pound sand. When they have been placed in my homes by licensed plumbers, they have been placed not necessarily the 4" above the drain line as per IPC 918.4.; they have been placed pretty much as the OP has shown here: higher than the flood level rim of the fixture being vented. That's another way of saying "as high as possible." My new house here has something more in line with that code; the kitchen sink drain has a Studor AAV 4" above the drain line. My prior homes had them up high as shown in the OP's photo. Maybe it depends on where in the country it's being done. Can't tell you. Just can tell you what I've seen in my own homes.

No master plumber is going to do anything for $3.00 and do anything in 10 minutes.

And as the OP said about a new soap dispenser, "this definitely will be a much better option."

If you look at the photo, this appears to be a solid surface countertop. This does not indicate that there were mounting holes in the sink. Though you can not absolutely tell from the photo, it appears as if this may be an undermount to solid surface sink, w/o any holes. The placement of any additional devices, such as a soap dispenser or dispensers, an air switch for disposal and or a water spigot for hot water or RO water needs to be done to accommodate what's there. My own homes since 1992 have had a number of sinks installed and all of them were rimless undermounts.

My new home here did not have an air switch or soap dispenser. However, I hired the countertop guys who were working next door to bring over their diamond drill and drill two holes for me. The first thing they did is clear out the undersink, check for all the plumbing lines, and sink mount hardware and then they told me where the holes could go. Took them but a few minutes but they checked for what was there, didn't tell me to "move this--".

There is an interpretation that plumbers are following to the installation of AAVs. which explains what you are seeing. You don't have to like it, and you can even tell an inspector to go pound sand. When they have been placed in my homes by licensed plumbers, they have been placed not necessarily the 4" above the drain line as per IPC 918.4.; they have been placed pretty much as the OP has shown here: higher than the flood level rim of the fixture being vented. That's another way of saying "as high as possible." My new house here has something more in line with that code; the kitchen sink drain has a Studor AAV 4" above the drain line. My prior homes had them up high as shown in the OP's photo. Maybe it depends on where in the country it's being done. Can't tell you. Just can tell you what I've seen in my own homes.

No master plumber is going to do anything for $3.00 and do anything in 10 minutes.

And as the OP said about a new soap dispenser, "this definitely will be a much better option."

The vent appears to be too high to replace it without cutting the pipe.

That doesn’t meet code and.......it’s in the wrong place. The hole is where it’s at......can’t move that without leaving a hole.

The vent doesn’t have to be there.

The vent would still be in the way if a different appurtenance was installed.
Remember that occupants of a home are temporary.

If I were on the job the materials would cost $3.00. If I did it myself it would cost $5.00.......and it wouldn’t ever cause another problem and it would meet code.
The homeowner was going to do the work himself, not hire a plumber. His material costs would’ve been the same with addition of some solvent.,

I get paid for my opinion for a reason......I know more than a google about plumbing.. Please don’t confuse with what you’ve googled with almost 40 yrs of day in and day out experiences.

You may have lived in a few houses, that’s great but that doesn’t compare to the thousands of homes I’ve worked in and piped all over the country.

Work-arounds are great like the remote located soap dispenser but in the big picture the vent is the problem......

Those are my final thoughts on the subject.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the insight guys. Regardless of what the most correct solution is it's fascinating to see how much information you're able to glean from these photos. I will say that from what I can tell in the rest of the house, the previous owner definitely cut some corners on the addition as well as the kitchen renovation. They clearly didn't have communication during building around this minor, yet annoying thing we've already collectively spent too much time thinking about :)

I'm going to go with the soap pump modification. With a toddler at home and all sorts of other priorities the last thing I have time for is a project that (although might be super quick for one of you guys) will suck an entire day out for me (you got kids?? :) ). But next time there's a plumbing issue I can't resolve in the house I'll be happy to have a professional make any necessary adjustments to this while they're there.

Thanks again!

STOP with the complexities. The answer is simple. Change to a different soap dispenser, one that draws from a full container...like this one:

Sink Soap Dispenser, Ohuhu Soap Dispenser for Kitchen Sink, Refined Brass Pump and Head, Coated with Chrome Plating, Kitchen Soap Dispenser with 47" No-Spill Extension Tube Kit, No More Refills

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083HXYDT5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HGHWZDWQX5NJ74221EMR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

EXTREMELY high quality; this is significantly better (and less costly) than other ones I had in the past, and no more hanging bottles.

Just installed, works great! Thanks again. First win for 2021.

Latest posts

Back