Need to fix bottom bolt?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bofa

Reaction score
Hi, about a year ago, I replaced the wax ring on my toilet. I had tightened down the two bottom bolts to secure the toilet and put caulk around the base of the toilet. No leaks, nothing, all good.

Yesterday, I noticed one of the bolts completely came out while the other bolt is secure and tight. The toilet does not move and there are no leaks.

My question is: do I need to bother putting the one bolt back in if the toilet is seated well and there are no leaks?

Sounds like a personal call, the caulk is probably holding it down well enough though. However if children use it or other people who may have balance issues then it's probably safer to pull it again and reset the bolt. Could have a broken flange under there or something.

Ok thanks. I’m the only one that uses the toilet and I have no problems with it. I don’t think it’s worth it to do especially since the other bolt is still tight and I put a bunch of caulk down

If you start getting any leaks on the floor then pull it and see why the bolt came loose.. Otherwise since your the only
one around I wouldn't mess with it.

If you start getting any leaks on the floor then pull it and see why the bolt came loose.. Otherwise since your the only
one around I wouldn't mess with it.
great thanks. Yes, if I can remember, I think there was a broken flange and someone must have kicked the bolt which popped it out from where I had tightened it down. For now, I'll just put a piece of tape over the hole and call it a day and just keep an eye on it to see if it starts leaking (but it's been a year so probably not).

how would you know it its leaking until it became bad and damaging? I always wondered about caulking all the way around the toilet base for this reason. Maybe if it was on a slab with no wood or 'downstairs' it is ok?

how would you know it its leaking until it became bad and damaging? I always wondered about caulking all the way around the toilet base for this reason. Maybe if it was on a slab with no wood or 'downstairs' it is ok?
If it were leaking, I suppose the water would get through the caulk somehow? Also, I would most likely smell something? I did leave the back open for some time and there were no leaks so I closed it off with caulk later. It is on the downstairs floor so that is also not a worry.

Back