Need quick fix for WH leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trobinson017

Reaction score
I just replaced my water heater using instructions from Lowes. It was pretty easy. I had to use CPVC pipes from the WH to SharkBite compression fittings to copper pipe. I opted for this method rather than mess with sweating copper. I used CPVC glue on all the CPVC parts that married up. The only issue I'm having is a slow drip coming from the hot side where the CPVC outlet marries up to a short CPVC pipe that goes to an elbow. My guess is the glue was a tad thin there. So what's the best way to fix this short of redoing the hot side? I tried plumbers putty but that failed. I'm thinking of draining the tank to reduce the pressure, thus stopping the leak, and then running more glue around that seam. Then refill and activate the system. Would that work? Or is there a product on the market that is made for this kind of problem? Please don't tell me Magic Putty. That stuff is darned near useless. What about this tape I've seen on TV that they fix garden hoses with?

All advice considered and appreciated.

Trob

Your going to have to fix it the right way...cut out this section and redo.

^ This is the best advice. Nothing will hold the leak permanently except a full replacement. Next time, Use a little sandpaper and rough up the edges, use lots of cleaner/primer and then your glue. Allow the glue to set up for at least 1/2 hour before pushing water into the lines.

How did you hook the CPVC to the heater? CPVC should not be used within 18" of the water heater. That is the manufactures recommendation.

John

I used a metal-to-CPVC transition fitting like this one:

attachment.php

Can you provide a link to the 18" restriction you mention? I've Googled that and haven't come up with that info. All I've seen is that if you have a gas water heater to keep it a certain distance from the flue.

Thanks to all for the info. I'm trying another patch job for now but will plan to redo the connections this weekend.

Trob

Rescue tape.
For temporary repairs it's awsome stuff.
start wrapping it to one side of the leak and work your way over it and past it then just keep wraping it tight. Works better if you turn off the water and relieve the pressure while you wrap it.

Back