Need I.D on maker and tool needed Please

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rapidrob

Reaction score
Shower stall facet on hot water is leaking at the seat. I need to know who made this facet and what size deep well socket wrench I'll need to remove the valve?
Is the seal a common one?
Thanks you for your help.

valve2.jpgvalve3.jpg

You can buy a shower valve wrench set at Lowes or Menards. It should fit one of those. Not much to go on for the maker. It doesn't really matter. How old is it? Why not just replace? Let me guess no access to replace? Old plumbers...

It’s a Price Pfister. The deep socket to remove it comes with the China made aftermarket rebuild kit.

Or you can buy the whole cheapo socket set for about 20 bucks

Your pic only really shows the packing nut. That’s not how you remove the stem. The stems bonnet is larger. The packing nut screws into the bonnet.

Its one of the easiest faucets to repair of it’s type. High success rate.,

Last edited:
I'd cut an access panel into the wall somewhere, since you need one anyway. Then replace. It being that old it will slowly fall apart even if you accomplish this task with it.

Bought the 31 and 29/32" wrench. It is too large and spins over the nut.

That’s because you have the wrench on the packing nut. The socket fits the stems bonnet, that’s the part you need to unscrew to remove the stem.

The hole in your wall looks off center.B7AE7443-F72C-41E5-B491-7EAF6C82BC56.jpeg

The wrench goes on the part that says “ PP “ to remove the stem, not the smaller packing nut.

I used the double-ended tool today and after breaking a screwdriver handle in half, used a 10" breaker rod to remove the valve stem.
The stem was way too tight in the valve housing and I was afraid I'd damage the water lines going to the valve.
I had the common valve gasket and it all went in with no problems and stopped the dripping.
Thank you for your help it is appreciated.
I hope you have a good Easter.

I used the double-ended tool today and after breaking a screwdriver handle in half, used a 10" breaker rod to remove the valve stem.
The stem was way too tight in the valve housing and I was afraid I'd damage the water lines going to the valve.
I had the common valve gasket and it all went in with no problems and stopped the dripping.
Thank you for your help it is appreciated.
I hope you have a good Easter.

Glad you didn’t butcher your wall over changing a flat washer.

I guess I was right about this one, I’ve been told I’m wrong a lot 🤣
I guess when you do as much work as me, mistakes can happen.🤡

Those who do nothing never do anything wrong.....

Hope you have a great Easter as well.

Now several hours later the very slow drip has returned. Does this valve body have replaceable seats?
If so, is it an Allan wrench type tool needed to remove it?

I'm sure since @Twowaxhack's pride is on the line and he walked right into this one, he'll back back to help you.

Since your intent on fixing it he may know just what you need. I would have to get into it to figure it out, I might even look in a book.

@Twowaxhack thinks I don't appreciate his expertise and we give each other a hard time but I'm sure he'll help you. There's a decent guy in there somewhere. Lol

Now several hours later the very slow drip has returned. Does this valve body have replaceable seats?
If so, is it an Allan wrench type tool needed to remove it?
Yes they’re replaceable. It takes a square wrench to take the seat out.

There are other specialty tools as well to remove damaged seats.

Latest posts

Back