Need help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike s

Reaction score
Water backs up when I run either faucet in my double vanity. I have removed both traps and they are clear. I removed the trap from one side and poured water thru the other side and it drains into a bucket with no problem. The side where the water drained from the other sink is where both sink drains come together to go into the waste pipe to the street. On this side ALL the fittings are glued together and I cannot access the waste line to use a snake or anything else. Sort of cutting the fittings off is there anything else I can do?

Thanks Mike

Stupid assembly.
Cut out and redo based on your description.
Photos could help.

this is how it looks. The guy who did the plumbing when the house was built did this. I think he was a fireman and a plumber on the side. I have decided to cut both line at the wall and see if I can install slip fittings.

It is abnormal plumbing from the getgo, but more perspective on what is there also.
To clean out, you can cut the pipe and use1-1/2" no-hub couplings to put back together, which can be removed again in the future again.
The piping is very wrong.

Thanks for the info. Are the no hub couplings water tight? So I would glue in adapters with straight pipe where needed and connect them with the couplings? Excellent idea, by the way, can I reconnect the whole thing with slip joint fittings?

Mike

Can you take a picture of the entire set up under the cabinets?

A little further back would help. but these drains look way too high.

Jeff You're right it is crazy. The water in the trap has to go almost straight up to go out the waste line, and the water coming from the sink on the other side falls( if you will) into thetrap on this side. If you look at the picture closely you will see that one line is higher than the other, thats where the water drains from the sink on the other side to go out the waste line. But due to gravity, its going to fill the trap on this side first.
even if I cut it and rebuild it that line will still be higher.

Thanks
Mike

Here is a pic further back. The rubber j hook is my doings. I needed to remove the trap several months ago and the original works were glued into the tail piece, so I had to cut that off , since I could not remove any of the rest of it this is what I camre up with to have a trap.IMG_0291.jpg

By the way, about 2 hours ago I poured about a gallon of white vinegar into both sinks, just tried to flush with hot water and now both sinks are standing in water

Has anyone heard about the a/c drain clogging up and backing up the sinks? Just trying to figure all possible problems.

Throw some baking soda with the vinegar, let it sit for 1/2 hour, and flush with hot water.

A/C condensate will not clog sinks.
You need a plumber to open up the wall and install a proper drain.

This drain is way to high. I agree with breplum. The wall needs to be opened up and done correctly.

That's... not how plumbing works. If I can add my voice to the, "hire a plumber to re-do it," crowd ...

Once it's done properly, I'm sure that'll fix the back-up issues.

Latest posts

Back