Need help with well low pressure-replaced tank and flow valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottusa

Reaction score
Hi all. Any help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated.

Here's the situation...
I have a well system that only had a max of 28 psi pressure. Well pressure tank only had 28 psi IN the tank. After reinflating the pressure tank the pressure soon dropped down again in a matter of hours. I've replaced the pressure tank which now has 40 psi in it(and holds). I've also installed a check valve as the water seemed to be flowing back into our well. However I now only have a max of 24 psi on the pressure gauge even when the well pump kicks in pressure doesn't seem to go any higher. Any ideas?

First off, if you have a bladder tank. The pressure in the bladder should be only 2psi under the psi setting of the pressure switch. If you are checking the pressure on the tank its not going to change.( if your checking the same place you aired up the bladder)

Do you have a gauge on the line going into the tank? This would give you a true pressure reading.
Can you shut off the water from going into the house? Will the pump build up and cut off when you are not using any water?

Travis

Hi Travis,
All I know is that the pressure in the new pressure tank is factory set at 40 psi, ( I checked with a tire pressure gauge) but whether the well pump is running or not, the gauge inline on the pipe from the well only gets up to 24 psi. I thought that as there is 40 psi in the tank then is should get 40 psi at the inline gauge.
The pressure switch is supposed to be set at 40/60 but I cant set it to that because the pressure never gets higher than 24 psi. So if I set it to 40/60 then it switches the pump on but not off as the pressure will never get high enough.
I just dont understand why the new tank doesn't increase the pressure. Its driving me crazy :)

After the psi in the tank is set correctly, and it still does not do wright.
The drop pipe may have a hole(submersible) or the pump itself is wore out.

My guess would be a hole in the drop pipe. Even if the psi in the tank was not even close to where is should be. The pump would still build up the the cut off psi of the pressure switch.

Travis

Latest posts

Back