Need help with toilet flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhotch

Reaction score
So I bought a house with an unfinished bathroom and I'm now at adding a toilet and I'm seeing a previous job that makes no l. I watch many videos and I can see I might be dealing with an old cast-iron flange with cement all over it. Looking for advice on how to remove and replace. Here is pictures for what I'm dealing with.
20210107-104249.jpg
20210107-104239.jpg

You should be able to CAREFULLY chip and scrape away the cement or tile adhesive covering the old flange.
Get it totally clean, then add a flange extender ring over it, which will give you a finished height above your flooring.

So I bought a house with an unfinished bathroom and I'm now at adding a toilet and I'm seeing a previous job that makes no l. I watch many videos and I can see I might be dealing with an old cast-iron flange with cement all over it. Looking for advice on how to remove and replace. Here is pictures for what I'm dealing with.
20210107-104249.jpg
20210107-104239.jpg
From the looks of the size of the hole in the flooring, no toilet will cover it.

I guess I'm not understanding what your saying.. its down right over the top of the hole right? Once I get a new flange installed

John is saying that the square opening in the flooring is too large.
Larger than needed.
It should have been made smaller, then anything overhanging the flange should have been cut away.
Flooring installers were clowns.
So now, areas of bare concrete will probably peek out, especially at the square corners.
If they left you any spare flooring, you can easily splice in some pieces.
Or take good pictures, get some samples from a flooring store, find a good match, and fill in around the flange.
AFTER you have the flange uncovered, totally cleaned off, and flange extender ring siliconed on and screwed down first.

Okay that makes sense... so I need to take a hammer to the concrete over the flange right?? Thank you all for your replies. This is great

A hammer gently tapping a cold chisel, or stiff putty knife.
Tap at a steep angle, you are cleaning, not destroying.
Don’t break or gouge up what is down there.
Or you will be screwed.
When you uncover what is there, post more pics.

Nice job cleaning up!

I don’t recognize why there are those four studs with rusty nuts.

Maybe they just held a cover in place?

What is the inside and outside diameter of that pipe?

There obviously is no flange there now, there are several options to get one onto there.

Pros on here could better advise about that.

Nice job cleaning up!

I don’t recognize why there are those four studs with rusty nuts.

Maybe they just held a cover in place?

What is the inside and outside diameter of that pipe?

There obviously is no flange there now, there are several options to get one onto there.

Pros on here could better advise about that.
the old toilet used have 4 bolts on them to mount it to the floor

I'm wondering whether there's enough room to place a toilet there. I remember standard rough-in is 12" center to drywall; there are toilets with 10" rough-in. At a glance, wall looks closer than 10".

Good point, @Riickk.
@Bhotch Have you measured from the finished wall to the center of the flange? Is it 12" or less?

Back