Need Help with New Shower Stall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WatchDog

Reaction score
Hi Everybody.

I'm about to replace my upstairs shower stall. I'm a bit nervous about this, because I've never done this before. Consequently, I'll probably have several questions as the project proceeds.

Here are the details.

I live in an older house, and it's a small shower stall: 30" x 30" (I guess people were thinner back then - I know I sure was :eek:). It has a floor pan (center drain), left wall, right wall, back, glass swing-door in front (with a stationary glass panel on the left).

The ceiling has a bend in it from the roof. That is, as you look into the shower from the outside, the right half of the ceiling is horizontal, while the left half slopes down (towards the left / backyard), parallel to the slope of the roof.

At its highest point (the 'horizontal' portion), the ceiling is about 81" high, measured from the bottom of the floor pan.

My goals are to have a decent-looking, waterproof shower that's easy to clean, and will last for a long time. Therefore, I want to put in a shower stall / enclosure / surround - something with a floor pan, back, and left and right walls. Then caulk all the seams and be done with it. I'm a big fan of simplicity and efficiency.

I don't want to tile or move walls. It doesn't have to be spectacular; I just want it to work well and last. The only people seeing this shower will be myself and a pretty lady. ;)

As you can imagine, it's been difficult finding a 30x30 shower! However, I believe I have located ONE 30x30 shower pan, and ONE shower kit (from a different company) that can be cut down to 30x30.

So, before I dive in and make these purchases, here's my first question:

Do you have any recommendations? Do you know of any shower kits (of any kind) that are 30"x30", or that can be cut down to this size?

Or do you have any other recommendations about this project?

Thanks in advance!

you could install a lick and stick, then you can cut it to whatever you like, this howwever is not a great option .

Thanks for the replies!

Actually, I did look at Mustee's Durastall line. Thus far I have located TWO 30" x 30" showers, and the Durastall is one of them. However, it looks to be a free-standing shower, so not really what I'm looking for.

The other one I located is DreamLine - they have one kit that can be cut down to 30" x 30".

Anybody know how the quality is with DreamLine?

Thanks again!

I may be wrong but I don't think a 30"x 30" shower meets code for size. But from what I remember a 32" shower just meet the requirement. Don't quote me but I think it was 1024 sq. inches.

John

Back