Need help with leaking steam pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heat hasn’t been on for weeks but yet stem pipe continues to leak and I see no hole. Does water actually remain in the steam pipes all through the summer?

My guess, old home, structure sag has cause back-pitch, standing water has corroded the pipe.
Water should not remain in a steam system's piping, only hydronic.

You're sure it's steam, not converted to hydronic/hot water?

I'm not sure what your asking. You know there's steam leaking but asking if there's water in the pipe, but you also don't know where's it's leaking?

You could have a coil for your domestic hot water that is heated up by your steam boiler. Your steam boiler high limit could be set too high causing some steam production. That's the only thing I can tell you from your ambiguous post.

It’s copper piping and it wasn’t leaking last summer so I’m not sure if it’s a structure issue. I am trying to find out if there’s a way to get the water out of the pipes without having to destroy any pipes. Also, the water isn’t hot.

If it is steam there should be no water in the piping. There should /could be some in the radiator. This doesn't mean that there will be no water in the piping, just that there shouldn't be. If there is a good amount of water in the steam piping there is a problem.

If your renting this or you live in a co-op leave it alone. Let the building manager mess with it.

This is my house actually. Not sure if it’s a lot but it’s dripping water. I was wondering if I should turn the furnace on to maybe have the water move through the pipes. Any suggestions?

The fact that you have water in steam piping outside heat season is an issue, the fact that it's leaking is a greater issue.

You won't get any more answers without more detail/pics.

Cut it and fix it. Get a bucket and catch the water until it stop one hundred percent. Then solder a patch back in with slip couplings. I've had enough of this post.

Humorous image of him doing that, and learning that, in fact, it is hydronic.

Latest posts

Back