Need help with kitchen sink plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeydyi80

Reaction score
Just did my countertops and had new double sink installed. The new sink drains are not centered as before, but offset. The installers took out the old one before I could take a picture of setup. The old setup had the garbage disposal installed on the left side. With the plumbing that is in place now I assume I should mount the disposal on the right and the outlet of the disposal should point down and fit into the opening on the pipe that points up. The horizontal inlet that's on the pipe that's connected to the wall should connect to the pipe that is laying on the ground (on the left side) and the other end of that pipe will connect to the sink strainer. The dishwasher pipe will hook up to the inlet on the garbage disposal. Is this correct? I've seen some setups where the garbage disposal is connected on the side inlet and the other drain connected on the top portion. Any difference here between these setups?

I visited my local Home Depot to get some fittings to fix up the plumbing and the guy working in the plumbing department showed me a "Garbage Disposal Installation Kit" (picture attached). He informed me this had all the pieces I needed to install my garbage disposal and sink drain and dishwasher air gap. I just need to clear out the old tubes/pipes that was coming from the wall and start fresh. The old pipes that I had there were ABS, but this package is all white pipes (PP material). Is this a good route to go to start fresh and change the whole pipe types or should I just use the exsisting pipes and see if any extra connections are needed and purchase those and stay with the ABS material.

thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail (4).jpg thumbnail (10).jpg thumbnail (11).jpg

I would cut the existing 45° off and start with a new one and add some ABS. That way you wont need such a long piece out of the adapter. Then you can center the trap under the right if you want. You could also make a long sweep 90° and put the trap under the left. You could even leave a wye with a clean out somewhere under there.

I don’t think you can glue abs directly to pvc as it seems to be done there.

Although I know they sell glue for that purpose.

So I started to install the garbage disposal on the right side of sink and it looks like the outlet from garbage disposal is a big longer than the top of the inlet of the pipe that is there. This sink is about 3 inches deeper than my last sink (plus the disposal was on the left side). Also just eyeballing the other piece of tube that goes from drain to the side of the inlet it too seems to rather longer and might hit the top of the tube going towards the wall. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Should I shorten the tube that is coming from the disposable a bit? Here are the pics:

thumbnail (12).jpg
thumbnail (13).jpg

Why is there a Tee on top of that P trap?

What about the trap for the left hand sink?

Post pictures of everything.

First impression, you are in over your head, call for pro help.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Meanwhile, I am done with this thread, I feel you are not qualified, get help.

Why is there a Tee on top of that P trap?

What about the trap for the left hand sink?

Post pictures of everything.

First impression, you are in over your head, call for pro help.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Meanwhile, I am done with this thread, I feel you are not qualified, get help.

The Tee was there from my previous sink since garbage disposal was connected on the left side and drain on the right side. So I'm not sure why you are asking why the Tee was there. I think fit issue is because the new sink is about 3" deeper than my previous one, other wise I think the connections would have fit perfectly and inline.

There's no ABS glued to PVC, the ABS pipe on rear left was painted white, then someone deliberately or accidentally scraped off some paint.

Question: Is this still a double sink, or single? If double, where / how will the other sink drain?
Based on assumption this is now a single sink: If you remove that Tee above the trap, things will hook up fine; you should be able to use the existing ABS trap and system, or the trap-in-a-bag they sold you.

Riickk, you can clearly see that he has double sinks, that he says were just installed.

So he has no clue, he is screwing this up totally.

He needs to call a plumber, or handyman, talented neighbor, whoever.

Get rid of that Waste King disposal and buy an Insinkerator. That will give you about 6” more of height from the disposal outlet.

Get rid of that Waste King disposal and buy an Insinkerator. That will give you about 6” more of height from the disposal outlet.

You sure about that with the Insinkerator? My old one was Badger 1 and the outlet was just about the same place (distance from top of disposable) as the Waste King. Which Insinkerator are you recommending that would give me the extra 6" more height?

You sure about that with the Insinkerator? My old one was Badger 1 and the outlet was just about the same place (distance from top of disposable) as the Waste King. Which Insinkerator are you recommending that would give me the extra 6" more height?

6” is an exaggeration, but you will gain some height. Go with a Badger 900 or the Evolution if you’re shopping at Home Depot.

Here's a different way to do it. It should help with the height issue.
Hook up the faucet with new supplies first as already stated.

Attachments

• Kitchen drain with disposer.jpg
    Kitchen drain with disposer.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 13
Go with anything that has 1/2 horsepower or more, and a Stainless Steel grind chamber.
Non-stainless grind chamber will rust out on you.
My last Insinkerator, a one-horsepower unit with auto-reverse, ran for about 16 years, replaced because it got noisy.

Last edited:
Here's a different way to do it. It should help with the height issue.
Hook up the faucet with new supplies first as already stated.
Go with anything that has 1/2 horsepower or more, and a Stainless Steel grind chamber.
Non-stainless grind chamber will rust out on you.
My last Insinkerator, a one-horsepower unit with auto-reverse, ran for about 16 years, replaced because it got noisy.
I would cut the existing 45° off and start with a new one and add some ABS. That way you wont need such a long piece out of the adapter. Then you can center the trap under the right if you want. You could also make a long sweep 90° and put the trap under the left. You could even leave a wye with a clean out somewhere under there.

So I started to connect my disposable the way it is mentioned here using tubes from the install kit. I know I have to cut the tailpiece about 4" so that outlet from disposable will reach the Tee. Also I need to cut the horizontal piece a bit to fit into the tee. So after doing that I would move the right side of drain up 4". However, it will still be sitting lower than P trap and will be short as well. Do I need to get an extension tube to extend the horizontal part of the P-trap and also trim off some of the Tee as well so that they can fit.

thumbnail (14).jpg

Originally you had the disposal on the right side. If you mount it there the tee would be closer to the trap and you won't have to extend the horizontal pipe.
You can cut the bottom of the tee to shorten it.
Don't forget to remove the dishwasher inlet plug from the disposal.
Hook up the faucet with new supplies first as already stated. It's a pain working with the drains installed.

Originally you had the disposal on the right side. If you mount it there the tee would be closer to the trap and you won't have to extend the horizontal pipe.
You can cut the bottom of the tee to shorten it.
Don't forget to remove the dishwasher inlet plug from the disposal.
Hook up the faucet with new supplies first as already stated. It's a pain working with the drains installed.

If I did the disposable on the right then I would need to take off 45 degree connection that is at the wall drain (which means cutting the drain pipe since that is glued on and I really don't want to mess with cutting the drain pipe at the wall) and put in a 90 degree so that that the tubes will be able to connect to the drain.

If I connect disposal on the left then I need to just extend the horinzontal part that is attached to P trap to get it to line up with the drine line on the right side. I think that might be a bit easier for me to do then messing with cutting the drain line that leads to outside.

Latest posts

Back