Need help with a delta handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsaw

Reaction score
i have a leaky delta monitor bath faucet and i am trying to remove the handle to get inside and replace the parts i need to. i don't know much about plumbing at all, so i researched how to fix the leaky faucet a bit online and even found a youtube video of someone repairing the same leaky shower faucet i am trying to repair. the only problem is, i can't even get the handle off. there is one screw holding the shower handle in place, and i have to use an 1/8" allen to get it off, but the screw is damaged and rounded. after doing some research online i noticed there are a few people who have trouble just getting the handle off. has anybody here come across this problem? any advice would be great at how to tackle this.

An easy solution would be to drive a small flat screwdriver into the allen hole to see if you could get a bite on it and remove it. If this is unsuccessful, you can purchase an "Easy Out" and drive it out. If you didn't want to go to the store for the Easy Out, you could drill it out if you are careful and if you have room to do so.

i did try to use a screw extractor but that was unsuccessful. the shower handle itself doesn't provide enough room for the drill to evenly create a divet in the screw. i also tried to hammer a flat head into it but it won't bite into the hex screw. what can i do from here? am i out of luck on this one and should seek a professional?

A professional plumber will have all necessary tools to complete the job but hiring one will cost a few bucks. I myself am very stubborn and would not throw in the towel because of one little set screw. Do you have access to a flexible shaft Dremel Tool? They run about $25 and make a nice addition to your tool box. There are several drill and grinder attachments that would make easy work of that set screw.

If at all possible, post up a picture so we could get a good look at exactly what you have, and to provide other ideas how to solve your problem.

here are two pictures of what i am working with. do you still suggest using a dremel tool to get at the damaged nut? if so, which attachment would be best?

DSCF7217.jpg

DSCF7221.jpg

Go to your local hardware store and get a can of PB Blaster. It is a lubricant that will get into the threads if you let it soak overnight. Then I would try using a chisel just a bit larger than the stripped hole and chisel a notch allowing you to get a flathead screwdriver on it.

How did the repair attempt go?

If I were faced with this, I would find a drill bit of the appropriate size and drill the old screw out. If I recall Delta handles correctly, the threads are in the handle itself, so if you damage the threads, all it will cost you is a new handle.

Back