Need HELP! Toilets Gurgling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Shelby

Reaction score
Ok, so here is my issue...
I purchased a house a few months ago that is on a septic system. After we were finished with renovations we moved in and started having issues with the system. The toilets would start to gurgle and the shower would start to fill up while in the shower. We thought there must be a clog in the main line. We called a plumber and had them run a snake through the line and didn't really feel anything, but, it seemed to do the job. The system worked perfectly for 2 weeks... then it all started again... we had the plumber come back out and this time we removed both toilets and ran the snake down both, as well as the shower. He also ran the snake up the line from the outside cleanouts. Again, he didn't really feel anything, but the system started flowing again...
Now, 2 weeks later... it's doing the same thing AGAIN!
Could this be a roof vent issue?
I would think that if it was a venting issue, that if I removed the cleanout cap it would release the pressure and allow the water to flow freely... am I wrong?

Please HELP!!!

ok, update... I ran a hose down the vent pipe last night and it is free and clear of any obstructions... So my issue must be in the main line somewhere... I guess I'm going to have somebody come and run a camera down the line and see what's going on...
The tank isn't full... I double checked...

Hi. You say the septic tank isn't full however can you see if there is any evidence that the water level has been higher than the inlet line inside your tank? Nine times out of ten when I arrive at a job with the same info you have described, the diagnosis ends up being an overloaded leech field or too much sludge on the top of your tank. When your tank needs pumped or the waste level is higher in your tank wich could fluctuate if your drainlines are overloading due to heavy usage or saturated soil sometimes the plumbers snake can clean a "pocket" around your inlet t that allows your facilities to work for a short amount of time before it gives you the same problem. So if you are sure this isn't the case then you most likely could have a break somewhere in your inlet line going to the tank. Is your inlet line cast iron or is it PVC? If it is old cast Iron or PVC that is full of roots or broke the plumbers snake can punch a hole through the blockage wich will give you relief until something hangs up in the same spot. Try running a water hose into your clean out and looking at where it flows into your tank. If it is black and not clear water then you most likely have a break in your line.

ok, thank you for the information!
I have a plumber coming this week to run a camera down the lines and see what is going on... Hopefully if it is a break, insurance will cover it! We're on a slab, so it would not be a cheap easy fix!

so what happened? I have this gurgling problem. no backup though.

Latest posts

Back