Need help to remove Muller seat from a bathtub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacekJ

Reaction score
Have an old Muller tub assembly which is leaking. Replacing washers does't work anymore. Finally found that I have to replace a seats. The problem is they wont come out because the too big (see picture 4). Ant advise will be appreciated.

Thank You

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Looks to me that you first need to removal the remainder of the cartridge, then use a seat removal tool, then reinstall complete cartridges.

Reactions: SHR
OK. I wasn't sure if there is another part. So, how can I do that? Remove plummer putty, than us a wrench or vise-grip to take it out. Or is there a special tool to do that. I am planning to replace the whole assembly with one handle model but for now if I can fix it without major work, I rather fix it by replacing seats.

Thank you for reply

If you Google a cartridge retainer removal tool, you will see exactly what you need. Unfortunately, I need one of the experts in here to advise which brand of faucet you have because there are many cartridge removal tool types available.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

You still have not removed the remaining major part of the stem as "Havasu" recommended. No cartridge removal tool needed, just a set of stem wrenches (less than $20 at any plumbing tool store).

I appreciate Havasu's pics of removal tools but they will not work for your faucet. They are top and bottom: Moen single handle 1222, 1225 and 1200 cartridge removal tools. Middle pic is Moen two handle 1224 cartridge removal tool. Those are all very specific in their application and will not work on other cartridges or stems.

Thank you again. Is this a set you are taking about?stem wrenches.jpg

John, he is advising that the outer portion is still stuck inside, not allowing the stem to come out.

I don't think there is an outer portion. I don't think this stem has a bonnet like a Price Pfister. The nut he removed is the bonnet. I thought maybe there might be barrel seat in it like the American Standard Re-Nu ( look it up )but I think it's just a regular seat. I have been looking in a few places for a Mueller seat and only found this one.

JacekJ, Look inside. Does the hole in the seat have notches like in the picture.

use the seat wrench some have 4 notches come have 6. and some have 8.

use the 4 sided end if it has 8. I like the tapered wrench I give a smack on the end with another tool just to set it so it has a good bite into the seat before I try to unscrew it. some old faucets don't have removable seats . the only option is to grind them or replace the valve

http://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=17740

mueller seat.jpg

If there is still a barrel inside that has to come out like an American standard Re-Nu, try using the stem with the nut removed to pull out the barrel

Thanks for reply. I got these tools already. The problem is that after I unscrew the seat I can not take it out because is it too big to fit into remaining cartridge as you can see on image 4. The part from which I took the steam out is still in the wall with putty around. Seat is simply too big to be taken out.

The seats are exactly like on the picture you are showing. Thanks. How can I take them out? I have to take out the old putty and see if I can take out remaining cartridge part. Thank again

I guess I missed that. I do recall you did say something about removing the putty Thought maybe you already did.

??? question ??? what makes you think this a Mueller valve.
I was looking again in my stem book and found a stem that looks like yours with a barrel that seams to be screwed into the valve body.

The one in my book is a REPCAL.

The front barrel that is still in the valve, do you see any holes on the side. The REPCAL barrel has threads on the outside so there must be a slot or a hole for a tool to take it out.

Scan-150409-0001.jpg

Last edited:
NOW I know why you think it's a Mueller !!
The brass 90 is MUELLER, not the valve. :cool:

Got me chasing my tail again

005.jpg

chase tail.jpg

Not 100% sure but I had this happen the other day at a customers home and found out the part the seat wouldn't fit through needed to be removed as well. It didn't look to have a thread on it but it ended up having threads. If you're sure it's not a threaded part don't try to remove it. It will create divots and leak worse.

Try taking the diverter stem out. Those sometimes are more identifiable.

Thanks for new replies. I took some putty out (see picture) and I was able to remove seat, but once again, I can not take it out (see picture). I hope the treated part is not going all the way back to assembly like on last picture I found (it is not mine). If this was a case I have to remove the seats from the back.

April 10 2015-1.jpg

April 10 2015-2.JPG

3.jpg

Latest posts

Back