Need help to fix this broken pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tle70

Reaction score
I have this pipe broken of from the T adapter (left of the picture). What is the best option for me to fix this?
There are total of 5 pipes here. The pictures show only 3 pipes on top. But there are 2 more: 1 under the T adapter and 1 under the top visible 2 pipes and right to the pipe with the T adapter.
IMG_2625.jpegIMG_2626.jpeg

Thank you.

/Tim

That concrete there stops you from digging a large hole big enough to work on the broken line beneath the other pvc.

So you might have to cut the good pipes out of the way to access the broken tee. Then patch them all up starting at the bottom and working your way up.

That concrete there stops you from digging a large hole big enough to work on the broken line beneath the other pvc.

So you might have to cut the good pipes out of the way to access the broken tee. Then patch them all up starting at the bottom and working your way up.
That's what I'm afraid. How long should I cut the good pipes?

Enough to comfortably work on the piping below. Doesn’t really matter, you’ll have to couple it back together no matter how much you cut out.

The more you dig up the easier it is to couple back together. Expanding pvc couplings are made but I try to avoid them. They rely on an oring seal that can fail.

I like to heat up the pvc to make it flexible enough to install between two fixed points. Not hard to do but there’s a little learning curve. Too hot and it’ll kink, too cool and the pipes not flexible enough. Gotta wear gloves and you need a heat gun or you could use a torch if you’re good……

You can use masons twine like a cable saw to cut pvc in tight quarters. String it between the pipes and pull toward yourself as you saw back and forth. It basically burns it’s way through the pipe. This way you don’t risk cutting other pipes because they’re so close together.

Enough to comfortably work on the piping below. Doesn’t really matter, you’ll have to couple it back together no matter how much you cut out.

The more you dig up the easier it is to couple back together. Expanding pvc couplings are made but I try to avoid them. They rely on an oring seal that can fail.

I like to heat up the pvc to make it flexible enough to install between two fixed points. Not hard to do but there’s a little learning curve. Too hot and it’ll kink, too cool and the pipes not flexible enough. Gotta wear gloves and you need a heat gun or you could use a torch if you’re good……
Thank you.

Wouldn't hurt to clean all the mud and muck from the pipes and valves and to dig underneath the pipes so that you have a cleaner place to work.

Just sayin'...

Back