Need help/tips on replacing kitchen sink p-trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG32

Reaction score
Just noticed a little leak from the p-trap underneath kitchen sink. As shown in the pic, I figured it was was as easy as unscrewing the 2 silver connectors and replacing the curved part of the p-trap. The front one (circled in blue) unscrewed easy. The back one (circled in green) won’t budge for anything.

So, first question, is it possible to replace JUST the curved part of the -p-trap circled in red? I see the kits include the curved piece and a straight piece. The videos I’ve watched online show the straight and curved pieces being replaced, but don’t know if that’s a must.

If so, any tips on unscrewing that back silver piece (in green)? I got the pliers on and put my whole body weight into it and was afraid of breaking other connections. Wouldn’t budge. I’ve watched YouTube videos and guys just unscrew both connections like no problem.

I hate to call a plumber and pay handsomely for something that is DIYable.

Attachments

• 52C2AA10-3479-4E4A-9AD0-D06E41407DAC.png
    52C2AA10-3479-4E4A-9AD0-D06E41407DAC.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 15
Try not to squeeze as you turn. If you squeeze too hard it’ll put the nuts in a bind.

Nuts in a bind is not good.

Back