Need help removing/identifying shower faucet valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curttard

Reaction score
Hi, I have a leaky shower, problem seems to be the cold faucet. It's a two handle Kohler (at least the handles are Kohler), probably the original from when the house was built in 1989.

When I open up the handle and remove the plastic stem extender, the attached pic is what I see. A moderate amount of force doesn't pull the valve out and I don't want to pull too hard because I don't know if there is a lock ring or nut or retaining clip or tab or something else that needs to happen first.

Any ideas? Kohler support was no help. The closest part I can guess which looks similar but doesn't have the white cap/seal looking thing is Kohler GP76671: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...xF47bLzRaZTJZUJAPosJrDJaqJlfLfOfDn-OBOrRo5PBA

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Use something to hold the valve steady in the wall while you pull straight out on the cartridge. That’s if the valve is loose

You might have to get rough with it.

It’s a Kohler coralais

Have your new cartridge in hand first. Thread a screw into the cartridge then use the claw of a hammer on the screw to gently pry it out. Protect the tile with a piece of wood so you don’t damage it with the hammer

Ok, so no tab or clip or anything that needs to be released first? That helps a lot, I will try to work it free. I saw the screw tip on the Amazon comments for the GP76671 part, but wasn't even sure that was the right part.

Ok, so no tab or clip or anything that needs to be released first? That helps a lot, I will try to work it free. I saw the screw tip on the Amazon comments for the GP76671 part, but wasn't even sure that was the right part.
No, the nut you removed holds it in. Wiggle and pull straight out. The o rings swell up a little and lock it in place.

I’ve also turned water back on for quick second to blow it out before. I had helper on telephone inside while I was at main valve.

exciting 🤓

No, the nut you removed holds it in. Wiggle and pull straight out. The o rings swell up a little and lock it in place.

I’ve also turned water back on for quick second to blow it out before. I had helper on telephone inside while I was at main valve.

exciting 🤓

I didn't actually remove any nut. There was the screw holding the handle knob on, then a long metal cylinder that screwed on over the whole deal (I guess this must have been holding it all together?), then plastic stem extender that just slid off.

I didn't actually remove any nut. There was the screw holding the handle knob on, then a long metal cylinder that screwed on over the whole deal (I guess this must have been holding it all together?), then plastic stem extender that just slid off.
That’s what I’m calling the nut. It screw over the valve body to hold the cartridge in the valve.

Thanks to both of you, all fixed now! Kohler even sent me the replacement cartridge for free.

Latest posts

Back