Need help removing CI drain / flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dann0

Reaction score
All - need advice on how best to remove flange (believe they are attached to CI) from shower pan and sunken roman tub. Not sure how to best go about it. Ultimately, I want to remove/demo existing shower pan and install a new prefab acrylic shower base in its place. I know through other threads there is a strong recommendation to go ahead and break into concrete and remove drain and ptrap while I'm at it; however this is not an option for me at the present time...and I'm okay with risk/possibility that I may have to address this later and do some rework/cost. For now, I'm looking for easiest options to remove the flanges from both shower and tub with the least amount of chipping into concrete. I've been told I can use a Renco donut to convert from CI pipe to new PVC installation for the acrylic shower pan once the flange is off. CI Drain inside diameter appears to be approx 2" and assume a 2" to 2" Renco donut would be what is called for.

So, help and advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

• Shower 1.jpeg
    Shower 1.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Shower 2.jpeg
    Shower 2.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Shower 3.jpeg
    Shower 3.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Tub 1.jpeg
    Tub 1.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Tub 2.jpeg
    Tub 2.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 6
  • Tub 3.jpeg
    Tub 3.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 6
An electric jackhammer is what you need to start. Think of it as archaeology, and go with trepidation and discernment.
Don't forget to address dust control.

and if you're like me, you might find they ran copper water line (HOT) RIGHT BESIDE the shower p-trap, for you to jack-hammer into, while replacing the p-trap.....that was an exciting evening.... DIY project, done AFTER real job.... ( in truth, I only had a harbor freight 1" demo-hammer, not a REAL jack-hammer)

You cant remove any of those without demo. I believe the name your looking for is fernco to adapt C.I. to pvc. You are a long way off from that process though. The shower strainer is lead so you will need to drill it out in a bunch of places and then try and dig it out. The doughnut they are referring to is what goes on a pvc strainer for the water seal, but first you need to tighten it to the shower pan

Back