Need help ID'ing cartridge and getting it out of housing?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rapidrob

Reaction score
A neighbor has a Moen shower mixing valve that is frozen in place and very hard t oturn. She asked me to look at it.
After removing the locking clip ( a piece of copper wire someone installed) I cannot get it to budge. I'm afraid I'll brake the water lines if I pull on it any harder.
I was thinking I could use a deep wall socket / washers and a long screw and try to draw it out of the housing after soaking in penetration oil?
Also, can someone here ID this cartridge type so I can buy a new one for her?
valve1.jpg

Moen

Positemp cartridge.,

Turn off water, open faucet to relieve pressure.,

Pull out the copper clip, straight up. Dont drop in wall.

Hopefully then by pulling straight out on the brass stem firmly it will come out.

Special tools are made for ones that won’t come out.

If you have CPVC water lines in the walls, be careful pulling if the valve is not secured properly. I’m talking about hot and cold supply, not spout or shower riser pipe, I see it’s copper.

Don’t cut your hand on that broken tile, it’ll cut you like a razor.

Sheplmbr, Please read my post.
The cartridge is not budging when the clip is removed. I will need the puller.
Thanks for naming the cartridge.

Sheplmbr, Please read my post.
The cartridge is not budging when the clip is removed. I will need the puller.
Thanks for naming the cartridge.
My apologies, I missed that.

Just so I can remove the cartridge and buy a new one, with the correct pulling tool, is the cartridge a Moen 1222 model?
Thanks for your help.

I did not want to post a blatant plug for your company’s nifty version, might not be allowed?
But you could post it.
The man knows his business and he’s giving his knowledge and time away for free here.,

I for one appreciate that, I’m sure you do to.

Sending business his way should be a reflex.

I agree, just not sure if direct plugs to a product, sold by a member, are allowed on here.
Some forums are picky about that.
So I strongly hinted, and bawalter stepped up.
All good.

The man knows his business and he’s giving his knowledge and time away for free here.,

I for one appreciate that, I’m sure you do to.

Sending business his way should be a reflex.
It isn't really a big deal. We don't sell retail, we don't typically sell to plumbers. Our customer is the supply house and wholesaler. (Some OEM stuff and repackagers). My goal is to make it easier for the plumber/maintenance/professional to repair the fixtures instead of just tossing the whole thing out. I am trying to come up with more ways to do that. Most plumbers I talk to just go straight to replace the whole thing.

Latest posts

Back