Need help identifying old shower cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtlam713

Reaction score
I've been fine replacing everything else in the bathroom except the shower knob. I cannot for the life of me identify the brand of this cartridge. I am not the original owner of the place and everything is terribly old and worn out, and I can't make out a brand name anywhere. It is an oddly shaped plastic cartridge and I haven't been able to find it on any cartridge catalog. I am handy but relatively new to DIY and this is my first property. I am afraid to go tugging and pulling on these old parts until I know what I am dealing with and what I can replace it with. It is a single handle hot/cold shower knob, and from what I can tell there aren't even water shutoff valves to either side behind this thing, I had to go to the main water shutoff.

Long story short, this this has a slow leak and I think it is either just an O-ring or rubber washer or seat that needs to be repaired, or the entire cartridge if that is better at this point. Can anyone tell what I am dealing with here? Thanks in advance. 20210729_201453.jpg

Damn that was fast lol. Thank you!

Is there a special tool to remove those? Or just needlenose pliers and pray it comes out easily? It doesn't look like there's threads on those.

Damn that was fast lol. Thank you!

Is there a special tool to remove those? Or just needlenose pliers and pray it comes out easily? It doesn't look like there's threads on those.

They can be stubborn. Take the large plate off and make sure the valve is securely mounted in the wall. You can break the pipes if it’s not b cause sometimes you have to get aggressive.

Pull straight out. Some people out the handle on the stem and use that as a puller. It can break the handle though.

wear gloves.

Yeah, I’ve worked on a few of these. I added 150 washing machine/ dryer connections to an apartment complex that had those. Occasionally I would replace a cartridge while I had the building shut down.

Thank you so much. With that I was able to find several videos showing the removal for that exact model, and now I can easily find the parts too. This was exactly what I needed.

Latest posts

Back