Need help identifying male thread size coming off this gas valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torx

Reaction score
New user here,
Ive got a new GE gas stove, and wanted to keep the gas instead of going electric..

Got the stove home, and realized no part, or kit i buy connects to the end of this valve. The old sears stove, i threw out had the original connector line and fittings on it, kick myself in the a**
I dont wanna turn off the gas to the house. House was built in 1960, so its still got a lot of vintage parts still lingering around and ive been trying to identify this valve as well.. PENTAGON with an R?

Well, take a look at the pictures attached.. i for the love of me CANNOT find a female adapter, or bell reducer to reduce/adapt to a 1/2 gas flex line to the stove.
I bought this 3/4 x 1/2 bell reducer, and the male threads coming out the valve is.. too small for the 3/4 and too big for the 1/2 females. SOoooooo, what is this size, what do i need to make this work?

Is this male nipple coming out the valve removable? I dont wanna start turning wrenches anymore on this old stuff in fear im gonna break something. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 20210221_172029.jpg
    20210221_172029.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210221_172141.jpg
    20210221_172141.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 26
You need to go buy another gas flex line that fits those threads. Iron pipe fittings will not adapt.

It's a 1/2" flared gas valve. If that's not what your supply hose hooks up to, they're easy to find.

thanks for the replies. ive got the universale 1/2 flex line kit by brasscraft and no fittings fit that valve.
in the past ive tried the 5.8 kit, the 3/4 kit, and using various connectors and nothing fits.. the female connections in everything is either too big or too small.

That brass piece is just half of the flex line union. A new flex line should come with a new one.

thanks for the replies. ive got the universale 1/2 flex line kit by brasscraft and no fittings fit that valve.
in the past ive tried the 5.8 kit, the 3/4 kit, and using various connectors and nothing fits.. the female connections in everything is either too big or too small.
Get calipers and measure the outside of the threads. You give me that and I’ll tell you what to buy including model numbers.

Change the valve it’s going to leak gas out of the handle anyway. No need to turn off gas to the house. Spin off the valve and put your thumb over the pipe, dope the threads, pull thumb off pipe and spin on new valve.

Change the valve it’s going to leak gas out of the handle anyway. No need to turn off gas to the house. Spin off the valve and put your thumb over the pipe, dope the threads, pull thumb off pipe and spin on new valve.
Might be a little advanced for a DIY though

Back