Need help identifying hot water tank pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul M.

Reaction score
Can someone please help me identify these pipes on my electric hot water tank. The connection near the bottom of the tank with the shut off valve, that I'm guessing is the incoming cold water supply line to the tank? This is a very old tank, and I don't get why the supply line would be near the bottom of the tank?(as new tanks have it near the top). Second, what are the two stacked copper 1/2 inch connections up at the top? The one closer to the tank clearly feels hot to the touch, the one above it is lukewarmish. Are they both distributing the same exact hot water to different parts of the house? Why is one not as hot as the other? Finally, new hot water tanks have a hot and a cold connection on top of the tank. So would I have to extend the bottom connection with the shutoff valve (1st pic) all the way up an connect to the cold, and...join the two current copper pipes up top with a T and connect that to the hot connection on the new tank?

Attachments

• 20210929_115322.jpg
    20210929_115322.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210929_115350.jpg
    20210929_115350.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 18
the bottom pipe is the cold water, on the top the pipe to the left is the hot water pipe, and the one to the right is the safety relief valve discharge pipe

the bottom pipe is the cold water, on the top the pipe to the left is the hot water pipe, and the one to the right is the safety relief valve discharge pipe

Another stupid question Bill. If the cold water supply valve is shut off to the hot water tank...and the water tank is fully drained/removed. Does that mean I will not have any kind of water in the house period? I obviously won't have hot water, but is it possible there will still be cold water running throughout the house without a hooked up hot water tank?

If you connect the cold water outlet to the hot water inlet, all your faucets will function, albeit cold water. Just use a flexible metal line and use the correct connections,

If you connect the cold water outlet to the hot water inlet, all your faucets will function, albeit cold water. Just use a flexible metal line and use the correct connections,

I see. But if I don't connect the hot water outlet to the cold water inlet at the tank, will my faucets still function with cold water? I'm guessing I get cold water in my faucets from a totally seperate cold water line that does not go through/attach to the hot water tank, but is a separate cold water line altogether?

Yes, cold water will still flow, but you will not get any water out the hot side of the faucets. I prefer to have water flowing from all points rather than only half. It would also stop any stagnant water from building up on the non-used side.

Another stupid question Bill. If the cold water supply valve is shut off to the hot water tank...and the water tank is fully drained/removed. Does that mean I will not have any kind of water in the house period? I obviously won't have hot water, but is it possible there will still be cold water running throughout the house without a hooked up hot water tank?
you will still have cold water. same as before
How ever if
some one turn on the bath faucet the hot and cold at the same time water will
run from the cold side to the hot side, only during the time that the water is open to both sides.

I see. But if I don't connect the hot water outlet to the cold water inlet at the tank, will my faucets still function with cold water? I'm guessing I get cold water in my faucets from a totally seperate cold water line that does not go through/attach to the hot water tank, but is a separate cold water line altogether?

If you have pressure balanced tub/shower valves and you turn off the water heater supply valve, you will not get any flow out of the tub/shower valve.

To get cold water, hot must be available.

Latest posts

Back