Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY86305

Reaction score
Hello All, Just joined and I need help to temporarily stop my water main from leaking while I trench and lay a new water main for my home. Right now it leaks approx. 160 gph. Is there a way to stop or slow the leak to 1-5 gals/day for about a month while I put in a new water main that will run about 160' uphill from the meter to the house. The hole is in the center of the badly corroded PIPE.jpgPIPE2.jpgpipe in attached pics. I tried wire brushing the pipe to see if I could get a smooth part of the pipe for cutting and compression fittings. Forget it, this pipe from 1972 is done. Is there a plumbing compound I could spread over the hole and surrounding area of the rusted galv pipe and maybe put a clamp over it to reduce the leak to 1-5 gals/day would be acceptable, while I put in a new water main?

Sounds like you should if you can shut your main off when you don't need it and turn it on when you do there is pro press but doesn't sound like the pipe is in any shape for any repair

Latest posts

Back