Need help from the experts, Rain=Full system. Need ideas for a fix

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickxc

Reaction score
My wife and I bought a new home over the summer last year. At the time the summer was very dry and the septic system seamed to work fine. Once the rainy season came we realized we have a problem that may be difficult to fix.

Our first floor with our living room and one of our bathroom is on a cement slab so it is at ground level. We also have another bathroom upstairs. Any time the ground has any water at all in it and we use the upstairs bathroom, it pushes material from the tank back up into the down stairs bathroom. Currently the downstairs bathroom has been unusable all winter. The line is mostly clogged with material and the system has been so full of water all winter that it has been unusable. When we use the upstairs bathroom, water surfaces in the yard, unless its been dry for 2-3 weeks or longer, then it seems to function fine.

I have talked to neighbors as well as a previous owner of this house who all say its always been a problem. apparently there is alot of clay in the ground here and the water is unable to sink in.

I called one local septic service who gave me a rough estimate of $25,000 for an above ground system but that seems just crazy to me. Is there anything else I can do to make this work. We have a family of 5 and need two functioning bathrooms and a good working septic system..

Septic is nothing to play with and that price is not bad for an alternative system. Apparently your drain field has failed. You will only get problems from here on out. Get several estimates and make sure you know what you are getting. There are changes you will have to make when getting an alternative system. There are filters, then you have a peat moss system. All of these require some kind of maintenance.

Back