Need help determining fitting to use

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpbarbour

Reaction score
I am replacing a toilet for the first time. I am including a picture of what was left after I scraped away the wax and disintegrated metal flange. Someone recommended that I use the two part metal flange by Oatey (Model #427772), but the ID on that product is 5" and the OD on my pipe is just under 5 inches. I'd appreciate advice on what product to use.
If it makes a difference, I am preparing to put in cement board and a tile floor. With the existing pipe shown below, I won't be able to get the backer board and tile underneath the lip of the piece shown in the photo.1609970161932.png

That's what's left of a pvc flange with a metal ring around it, there are is a split ring that replaced the old one like you mentioned from oatley it has to be secured to the floor that ring goes under that larger diameter of pvc

That's what's left of a pvc flange with a metal ring around it, there are is a split ring that replaced the old one like you mentioned from oatley it has to be secured to the floor that ring goes under that larger diameter of pvc

Thanks, but I have that product and it is too big. It does not "grab" the PVC- it just slips right over. I feel stupid, but I've been to the store three times and searched online and nothing I can find will fit under that PVC fitting.

Thanks, but I have that product and it is too big. It does not "grab" the PVC- it just slips right over. I feel stupid, but I've been to the store three times and searched online and nothing I can find will fit under that PVC fitting.
Bring that picture to aumbing supply house ,explain your situation with them seeing and holding what you are using they will help out

Disclaimer :). I’m not a professional plumber but an engineer who has done my own repairs for years.
My 10 cents.....
You seem to have 2 options
1. Replace only the metal flange onto the existing plastic lip. You will have to find one to match the diameter of the plastic lip that’s remaining on the old pipe. Then you’ll have to screw it to the existing floor. You rightly said you won’t be able to get the backer and tile under it. Once you fit your backer board and tile the flange will be slightly below the new floor level. Not ideal but you can find tall wax rings that might work I had to do this for a toilet at my previous house.

2. Better...Remove the existing plastic flange and buy a retrofit complete closet flange like the below link. You can find either a glue-in, the OD of which would have to match the ID of your PVC pipe below the existing flange or you can also find kits that tighten up and form a seal on the ID of the existing pipe. Be sure to carefully check the sizing and if in doubt call a plumber. You do NOT want leaks under the new tile floor that could go undetected !

Option 2 can be set to match the level of the new floor obviously

Glue in
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-3-to-4-in-PVC-Flange-W-Cap-SS-Ring/1000755998
Twist n set.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-3-In-PVC-Twist-N-Set-Closet-Flange/50315029

Thanks to all. I was able to find a flange similar to the glue in option Mark linked that will slide tight into my existing pipe and when glued in place, I will be confident that it will seal! And I can set the height to be on the existing floor. I appreciate everyone's time!

Latest posts

Back