Need help connecting disposal to main drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this thread is about disposal hookups and I'm in the process of doing just that, here is my original configuration (I didn't do this, but I did idiot label it when I took things apart to clean the pipes out while trying to locate a clog).
945069_337860489680156_502966430_n.jpg

7991_337860346346837_63449296_n.jpg

Ye old Kenmore finally died on me so I got an Inskinkerator Evolution 3/4 HP Compact model (I am so glad I got the compact one because I wouldn't have been able to lift it without two hands otherwise).

ALL of the sinks in my home have S-traps and AAVs are not permitted in my state. I plan to do something temporary until I can get a better solution worked out to get things vented properly, so I'm trying to figure out the best configuration for the new hookup.

Right now that pipe that goes down through the bottom of the cabinet goes through the floor and in to the main soil pipe and then comes out under the kitchen window with a cleanout and the vent goes up the wall on the outside and terminates under a soffit).
1040883_336066769859528_1442459826_o.jpg

1013417_336064686526403_204065506_n.jpg

This is the new disposal:
10552447_513647195434817_6901517956111433846_n.jpg

I'm going to have to trim the pipe a bit.

Since I'm thinking of doing an S-trap (even though I would love to do it properly) I have this little mockup:
10505404_513635055436031_5181202681675750087_n.jpg

Other than having an S-trap, does it look ok?

Is the trap too shallow?

I'm going to need to find a way to bridge the pipe in the floor with the part that goes down because neither one of them have threads.

I'm not a plumber but what I learned from this thread that I never considered is that the drain of the disposal needs to be above the main drain. It appears like you are ok in the pic, but it's hard to tell.

I believe if you T the disposal and other sink drain into the main drain you will be fine. Just use the correct fittings, the sweeping bends(remember it has to flow...).

On a side note, is your supply plumbing pvc(as opposed to cpvc)? I thought that wasn't allowed by most codes for potable water. That's also a very strange way to run a vent(outside the wall of the house).

I'm not a plumber but what I learned from this thread that I never considered is that the drain of the disposal needs to be above the main drain. It appears like you are ok in the pic, but it's hard to tell.

I believe if you T the disposal and other sink drain into the main drain you will be fine. Just use the correct fittings, the sweeping bends(remember it has to flow...).

On a side note, is your supply plumbing pvc(as opposed to cpvc)? I thought that wasn't allowed by most codes for potable water. That's also a very strange way to run a vent(outside the wall of the house).

Thanks, snrusnak. The main drain was below the disposal drain by the time I got things put together. I used a new end tee since that is what I saw in some photos of how to plumb this setup.
10534257_514077735391763_4794151004548069500_n.jpg

It's not perfect because it still has the S-trap, but I am very wary of poking holes in the wall to connect to the exterior vent.
tumblr_n8s748tV2o1qkwd9ao1_400.png

I am considering trying to find a way to tie in to the main vent stack in the attic, but I think that the main vent stack might be too small to support all of the fixtures that I intend to attach to it if I ever get the bathroom/laundry room remodeled the way I want. In other states I could pop on an AAV and be done with it, but that is not allowed here.

As to the PVC vs CPVC: I know that PVC is not allowed above ground level in houses (or inside structures) and I believe that the hot water supply is CPVC. I have some vague memories of my father explaining to me that the yellowish tinted pipe was for hot water and the white one was for cold water (this was way back before the internet and I guess he didn't know that he needed CPVC for both hookups). The cold water line has blue writing on it, but the hot water line has a different color writing. I can't really make out what either of them say. I might try to get pictures of that later.

To make things right, I will probably have to go backtrack the water supply line to the house and check it out to see if it is pvc or cpvc and replace it with cpvc. I've read that there really isn't a great solution for bridging pvc to cpvc though. I'm not sure if I should try this myself or if I should cave and call the plumber. I think I might be too fat to fit in some of the spots necessary and the new plumber is as well, but he has a skinny assistant who does most of the grunt work for him.

As for the way the venting is, I really do not really understand WTF was going on there. I know that my plumbing worked fine before we went overseas and had some people we thought were friends stay in the house as tenants. But when we got back, it was all messed up and the plumber said that they had messed it up. They tore out all of the plumbing vents and I think they dicked with the water lines somewhat. That was only the tip of the iceberg because there was a LOT more damage to the place and we still haven't fixed it all. They messed with the wiring as well. I'll stop there before I go in to a full on rant. LOL.

Anyway, I'm slowly trying to get things fixed up. Every single sink in my house is S-trapped so I will need to fix that. I know at least one sink has a metal s-trap. So I can only conclude that at some point S-traps were allowed.

I'm also thinking of replacing that disgusting shelf paper with some leftover sheet vinyl from my bathroom. the paper looks somewhat ok toward the front, but someone used packing tape to try to tape it down around the drain and water supply lines and it really got gunked up there. It even smells bad.. So I was thinking I could replace it with the sheet vinyl and then caulk it. Or I can just get some better shelf paper and caulk around the lines. Cleaning that out was such a pain. Not only had it been full of mouse contributions, my elderly cat decided to add her own review of the original plumbing job (because she's too lazy to walk all the way to the litterpan in the hall). Note to self: build a structure for a litterpan in the kitchen to keep the cat from going right in front of the damn sink.

Last edited:
Back